IGNORED

zzzap decals

cbudvet

I had a ZZZap from 83 - 87 and wish I had not sold it. Didn't really like the decals but they grow on you. One of the 77 Nissan ads shows a non-striped yellow Z and called it a ZZZap...so would that make any yellow 77 a ZZZap? I believe it came with dual mirrors that were unique to that car as well as the louvers...but the mirrors might be hard to get if someone wanted to clone one. Plus the work involved with a color change to yellow. I wonder when we'll see a set of these decals on a non-yellow car?

After looking at 2 very original ZZZAP Cars that were sold as "First 8 units" at Datsun delaers in Southern California in Spring of 1977, I can pretty much tell if it was originally "ZZZAP" car or not....

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading these ZZZap treads for a while, I remember the cars when I was a teenager, pretty slick. I have always been a fan.

Fast forward 30 years - I bought a pickup truck load of Z parts from a guy who was doing one of those kit car conversions, I needed the spare parts for my own restoration.

I keep my parts in a warehouse and I was looking over my goodies when I started noticing Yellow Paint. Remembering this thread, I looked at the hood and fenders - Sure enough! ZZZap! Sad that a nice Zap was cut up for a kit car. I ended up with the roof, fenders, hood and deck lid, etc.

To add insult to injury, I found that my other parts car is a Black Pearl (although never striped). I even had the VIN verified by Nissan (year/paint code)! It did not matter though because it was a rust bucket extraordinaire and could have never been saved.

So in the end... My average 1978 280z (510 Metallic Blue) was brought back to life from parts from two iconic Z's - A ZZZap and a Black Pearl. Usually, lesser pedigree cars are used to restore the "Special" ones. Kind of bitter sweet, don't you think??

Edited by ZCurves