IGNORED

Interior scuff plate restore

conedodger

So I noticed as I was putting my new interior in, that the scuff trim on both sides that grabs on to the interior door weatherstrip was rusted and the 'leather look' lamination was coming off. A little research on the part of my buddy Mat here locally after I asked him if he had a spare set in his stash revealed that they are available new from a couple sources and there was a set for sale on eBay in a buy-it-now auction. I grabbed the eBay set as it was $40 cheaper than either MSA or BD. It arrived today and I was somewhat dismayed to discover that the Nissan superceded part is structurally identical but painted instead of laminated with the 'leather look' stuff.

I run it by my wife who has decided that the Z is "her car" and she grabs me by the scruff of the neck and leads me out to the car. A quick trip to Jo Ann Fabrics and we are out of there with a strip of 'marine vinyl' in black. Very high quality stuff. Back home we spray the exterior of the metal trim with Super 77 spray adhesive and the back of the vinyl. 5 minutes later it is stuck to the outside of the metal. A little trim with a razor blade and it is ready to install. Very nice... So all of that craft stuff she does finally paid off - for me :)

So once I was done with this, I realize I could have taken the lamination off the original piece, sandblasted it and done the same thing with that...

Edited by conedodger

You may want to consider redoing them and using contact cement as the 77 will probably not hold for long when it heats up. 3M General Trim Adhesive will last better than the 77.

I'm in California. Contact cement will obviously be used to get me high so I can only buy very limited amounts. Thank you to the State of California for protecting me from myself ;)

I'm in California. Contact cement will obviously be used to get me high so I can only buy very limited amounts. Thank you to the State of California for protecting me from myself ;)

Let me know if you want any. Last quart I picked up was 6.47 + tax. I have no problem breaking stupid laws.

John