IGNORED

Taillight swap?

Scaotty

Im curious to see if anyone has swapped out 280z taillights for the older 240z ones. It doesnt look impossible, but im wondering if anyone has done it successfully, and if there are any querks to it.

I'm pretty sure that it just requires two tail light and license plate finish panels with light assemblies. I'm not even sure if you need a new light harness. Most of the time, auto manufacturers do whatever they can to leave a body stamping alone and still modify to it's new model look by bolting parts to existing stuff. With that in mind, I would imagine that you may not even need to drill any new holes.

Edited by DaveBonds

Yes it has been done.

"Toecutter" has done it to his 260Z:

http://www.viczcar.com/member-rides/sulios-1974-datsun-260z

He said:

"the 240 rears are pretty easy to install and the electrical plugs where the same for the 260 74 model. There is some cutting and welding involved though. Once you remove the 260 tail lights you will see what needs to be done it's pretty straight forward.

You have to do some cutting and weld a piece in where the 260 reverse light goes"

Edited by Mr Camouflage
spelling

Im curious to see if anyone has swapped out 280z taillights for the older 240z ones. It doesnt look impossible, but im wondering if anyone has done it successfully, and if there are any querks to it.

People in Japan do that all the time.

It is fairly easier conversion from S31 body to S30 in Japan, since JDM version do not come with big 5 mile bumbers on the car.

I think there is even kits for it too. There are also a kit clips to hold 3pc rear panel at the bottom as you see on S30.

:)