IGNORED

Back from paint!

JohnnyO

water based paint is already here =(

Thanks for getting up all of the pictures and please keep us updated through the rest of the build..

What about Nevada or Arizona? Probably a few hours to the border towns but may be worth the trip.

Also, I talked to my PPG supplier and he said hobbyists would still be able to purchase the existing paints after the law kicks in. It is just body shops that have to use water borne.

Edited by JohnnyO

Looks great John! I've definitely become more of a fan of 920 Safari Gold after seeing your car and a couple of others recently.

-Mike

Mike, When I picked up the car in CA it had a terrible blue metallic paint job on it. I was so happy when I opened the hood and saw gold.

When I got mine done the body guy said to let it sit in the sun for several days before wet sanding and buffing. This supposedly helps the clear coat cure faster. Did you get any such instructions?

When I got mine done the body guy said to let it sit in the sun for several days before wet sanding and buffing. This supposedly helps the clear coat cure faster. Did you get any such instructions?

Mike, I specifically asked that question. He told me that it wouldn't hurt or help by sitting out in the sun. He also said he would wait at least 3-4 days, but no more than 6, to have the car sanded and buffed. This means that he will be doing the buffing on Monday or Tuesday.

Humidity got really high here today so that will slow curing down but I plan on pushing it out in the sun regardless. I can "smell" when the paint/clear is about cured by the amount of fumes in my garage. The morning I wake up and the fumes are down a bit is the day she goes back.

My guy is an old school painter. He refuses to use HVLP. He keeps rebuilding his $600 Devilbis gun. He told me he "baked" the car for 2 hours after clear at about 100 degrees and that if I wanted to speed up curing I could actually take a 5 gallon bucket of ice water and clean towels and give it an ice water bath. Sounded a little strange to me so I ignored the tip.

Did you sand and buff yourself?

I am a very, very, new at bodywork, and I have already learned the hard way, that "speed" and "bodywork" should never be used in the same context. ;-) Let it cure at it's own pace. Looks great BTW.

Did you sand and buff yourself?

Yes. There were some defects in the clear coat that I wanted to remove so I wet sanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000 paper. I didn't get everything because I was worried about going all the way through the clear coat. I later realized that I was being too picky. You can look at other cars while sitting at a traffic light and notice just how much orange peal there is even from the factory.