IGNORED

The Good News Is...

The good news is my front seal isn't leaking. The bad news is I haven't identified what is.

I have a leak that is in the vicinity of the oil pump, but I can't tell if the leak is coming from the top of the oil pump, the timing chain cover or the section of the oil pan that is right in that area. The pooling seems to be most significant under/near the alternator mount.

I've cleaned up the area with a rag and I'm letting it seep for an hour or two. I'll try to get some photos later. In the mean time, any suggestions?

I'd go to one of the coin operated car washes and use the engine cleaner option to get all the old oil and crud off. It will be much easier to spot the leak sooner if everything around it is spotless and the sooner the better. If it subsequently leaks a lot and runs down it still might be hard to determine the exact source.

One problem is now that most of the oil is sitting in the oil pan it might not leak anymore while the car it sitting still. If it's coming from the timing chain cover gasket it might only show if the engine is not only running but the car is moving around at the same time. I don't have a good feel for how much the oil is spraying/sloshing around in that area while running.

The oil is collecting where the alternator bracket attaches to the block. So I removed the alternator and the bracket.

Just to be sure it wasn't the oil pump I put a torque wrench on the four bolts and checked them at 13 ft/lbs (the spec is 11 to 15). I got a click on all of them. The timing cover was a different story. I started checking the bolts that weren't suspected of leaking and found they could all use about a 1/4 turn. The one just above the wet zone took a full two turns. The one just below took almost a full turn.

Bingo.

I haven't checked it out yet as I'm going to take Mike's advice and clean the engine tomorrow after work. But two full turns? I think (hope) we have a winner.

Edited by Gary in NJ

I cleaned the engine and engine bay this evening. I then started and ran the engine until the temperature started to rise above normal (with the alternator/fan belt removed the fan & water pump were inoperative). After 15 minutes of running the engine was free on any oil leaks. I reinstalled the alternator bracket and alternator and took the car for a short test drive.

I parked it in my VERY clean garage and will take a look tomorrow for any oil on the floor. I changed the oil before parking it so I can determine if any oil on the floor is fresh or just residual.

Edited by Gary in NJ

Funny, how both our cars looks so similar... and we have a similar problem.

I had some oil gathering near the alternator bracket as well, and bottom of the oil pump. Turned out it was the upper oil pump gasket (I guess theres one in the middle too). Even though I torqued it down, initially, it was still leaking. Once I put a new gasket in, problems were solved :)

Hope you figure your problem out soon.

Funny, how both our cars looks so similar... and we have a similar problem.

---------------------

Hope you figure your problem out soon.

They do look similar.

Mine is now dry as a bone. The loose cover bolts were in fact my issue. I took the car out for a 1/2 hour ride last night. I looked under the car this morning - nice and dry.

I got lucky (this time). Changing the front cover gasket is a royal pain. Actually, changing the gasket and sealing it (both sides) is easy - it's getting to that point that sucks.

Actually, changing the gasket and sealing it (both sides) is easy - it's getting to that point that sucks.

And then getting it all back together properly is just as hard or harder than taking it all apart because you have to remember stuff. I suppose that's the case with many repair jobs. I had a power steering pump on a PT cruiser need replacing under warranty years ago. The pump itself is probably $50 but apparently it's an all day job to remove everything in the way and another all day job to put it all back together.

I'm glad your oil leak was so easy to resolve.