IGNORED

Anyone try RockAuto brake drums?

mlc240z

As title says, MSA wants $98 each, Black Dragon $90 each for rear drums for a '71.

RockAuto wants $28 each for, admittedly, aftermarket rear drums. Can't verify if MSA/BD are aftermarket also.

Anyone get these and if so, did they fit and perform acceptably?

I'm tempted to spend/waste the $60 (Saving $120-$140) to see if they're worth it.

Edited by mlc240z

I'd take them to your local auto parts store and have them turned before putting them on the car. Many cheap foreign made drums and rotors are warped from the factory.

Arne,

Aren't the brake shoe contact surfaces all steel/steel-lined?

Do you see any drawbacks or problems with cast iron/steel vs aluminum/steel drums?

pwd,

Yup, I've learned that the hard way. Had luck with some right out of the box, no luck with others.

I know the racers want aluminum and have been moaning about the lack of new units. I have been extremely fortunate to have 2 people offer me their old units because they are converting to discs! :)

Yes the linings themselves are steel.

One bonus on the steel units would be that they SHOULD be easier to remove in the future due to like materials on the hub. That aluminum/steel combo just does not want to play nice.:finger:

Edited by oldhemi

As title says, MSA wants $98 each, Black Dragon $90 each for rear drums for a '71.

RockAuto wants $28 each for, admittedly, aftermarket rear drums. Can't verify if MSA/BD are aftermarket also.

Anyone get these and if so, did they fit and perform acceptably?

I'm tempted to spend/waste the $60 (Saving $120-$140) to see if they're worth it.

jacobmccabe92 might have some used...

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=327794#post327794

Got them from Rock and installed Saturday.

Centric brand and they are cast iron. A little heavier than stock aluminums, but not too bad. Comes sprayed matte black.

Quality seems good and so far no problems.

Don't notice any defects or out of round.

If the Rock Auto drums are TRUELY aluminum for that price---grab them and thank your lucky stars. Factory aluminum drums are FAR superior to the cast iron replacements sold by the auto parts chains---primarily due to the weight difference. The iron replacements will work fine and priovide good service---but they are TWICE the weight of the factory aluminum drums. And ALL of this added weight is UNSPRUNG weight. That GROSS increase in unsprung weight makes a light Z car ride like a TRUCK and reduces the ability of the independent rear suspension to react to road shock/bumps DRASTICALLY. Do some reasearch on the effects of additional UNSPRUNG weight on ride/handling dynamics before you put those 25 pound ANVILS on the back of your car..! Add some HEAVY oversized wheels and tires and you will COMPLETELY RUIN the way a Z car handles, steers, brakes and rides!:stupid:

Chevrolet used cast iron drums on the Corvette back when they had a disc/drum combo. They were more than a little concerned about performance and understood the principle of unsprung weight. They also knew about Aluminum drums, which were on some GM cars at the time.

Aluminum is preferred for fast heat dissipation more than weight reduction. Brake fade is a much bigger problem in course racing than unsprung weight.

I seriously doubt if Rock Auto is offering Aluminum drums. No one seems to have them.