IGNORED

What makes the z special to you?

As a 10 year old, I remember seeing a new '70 model and thinking it was "cool". In high school, a "hot" teacher from my freshman year drove a '73 and I though it was cool. In '77, my senior year, my best friends dad gave im a '70, totally rusted out, ran like crap and I still thought it was "cool".

Now as a 49 yr old, every time I go out in my garage, see my car in various forms of disarray, I look at it and thinks its "cool" :)

In 1969 i worked at Motorsport automotive in Havertown,pa,they were a datsun dealership which also sold fiat,triumphs,and saabs.I worked there 2yrs detailing new and used cars also picked up parts at other dealerships. grew to love the 240z,graduated high school 1971 so i have a 71 240zfor that reason.Had alot of fun back then driving all these cars. carl h

a Z was THE car to have when I was in high school in the 80s. I ended up with a Galaxie, but have always wanted a Z. Had a chance to own one when I bought my old '86 toyota 4x4 truck- dude was selling the truck and a 2+2 Z (year escapes me) for 5k. I had no way to get two cars back to Phoenix from LA so I went with the Toyota, which served me extremely well for 12 years. Don't get me wrong- making that decision was really painful- but I was at a point where the truck was going to be much more useful. Now the truck and the horrible little beastie that replaced it are gone (truck lives on, though, at least) and I have a Z ;)

Coming from a younger crowd... and growing up during the "Fast and Furious 1" days, I can't say that I knew what the Z was when I was 10. However, I always noticed the lime Zs running around my local town, and was always oblivious to the maker or year.

A little less than a year ago, I started becoming more and more interested in the 240Z. I never liked the 350Z or 300ZX, but I definitely had a respect for where they came from. No crazy stories here, but a simple appreciation the lines and shape drew my obsession to Zs :)

The 240 was my first car. Got totaled after about a year. I have been chasing the thrill of that ride ever since. About a month left to go before I feel the thrill again. Going to paint shop Monday morning...

Back in 1994, I was just out of high school and found an old Newsweek magazine dated April, 1975 highlighting the imminent fall of Saigon. Curious, I started looking through it and after few pages came across this ad. I had no knowledge of Z's before that but I was hooked ever since and figured one day I'd get one... even 20 years later their advertising still worked! :)

post-11570-14150810871285_thumb.jpg

Far from being my first car, it was my first "sports" car. Had my 1st Z in the early 1980's when I met my bride & got married. Rebuilt my second Z in the 1990's and we drove it every where. Everytime I sit in my current Z, it's like I'm 29 again...

Not to mention, they are just beautiful cars from every angle! I sometimes find myself stopping to admire my own car!

They are definitely really cool cars, and awesome stories guys! I remember taking my friend's z to a parking lot and my friend letting me drive it right after we built the motor. I miss that z. The body looked amazing, the car was fast, sounded beautiful. I loved everything about it. The advertisement story is kinda funny haha. Ya it's funny cause I think I'm the only kid my age that's into old school jdm cars, datsuns, etc. around here. Everyone drives hondas, 240sx's, and no one has even heard of the 240z. It's sad! Such an amazing car with great history. I love every z besides the 350z and the 370 is slowly growing on me.

• 1 month later...

I was around 8 when I saw my first Z and remember thinking "now there's a COOL car"! Saved up my pennies and when I was 19 bought the car I was destined for. :) It was such a hard road getting to the goal of owning a 240 I cried in sheer happiness driving it home. I think the guy that owned it cried a bit too... he just had to have a better race trailer though.

The car has a oneness with the road and communicates so well in so many ways. I'm at a loss as to how anyone can drive it and not realize the Z experience is very special. Mine takes me to and from work 80 miles every day and I still choose to turn down offers of a company vehicle in favor of the Z. Driving it is that much fun! In 22 years of ownership I can count on one hand the number of times the car has let me down... Only two times has it stranded me and required a tow. What more can be asked? It is and was a near perfectly designed/built car.

Like Heston said, they'll have to pry my cold dead hands... :)

Edited by JimmyZ