IGNORED

Installing MSA leather seats

steve91tt

I spent the last couple of evenings installing a new set of MSA leather seat covers and foam. The old seats weren't in bad condition but I'm switching to a black interior so the butterscotch seats covers had to go.

post-20531-14150810699096_thumb.jpg

Overall, a very easy install. Everything fit straight out of the box.

post-20531-14150810700045_thumb.jpg

The new foams are definitely more firm than the old. I dropped the seat down by taking all of the spacers out from beneath the tracks but I still sit much higher in the car. I am 6'3" so I'm hoping that the foams will settle in a some and give me a bit more head room.:)

post-20531-14150810699473_thumb.jpg

post-20531-14150810699765_thumb.jpg

I have the MSA Leather too. They are VERY nice! The wrinkles will go away as the covers relax, you can also give them a "Rub-Down" to help them smooth out. The summer heat will help everything relax (And burn your Bacon too! ;))

I have the MSA Leather too. They are VERY nice! The wrinkles will go away as the covers relax, you can also give them a "Rub-Down" to help them smooth out. The summer heat will help everything relax (And burn your Bacon too! ;))

How much butt hight did you loose with time (the seats not you)?:) The seats are very comfortable but about three inches taller than my old saggy ones. I keep hitting my head on the roof!:ermm:

How much butt hight did you loose with time (the seats not you)?:) The seats are very comfortable but about three inches taller than my old saggy ones. I keep hitting my head on the roof!:ermm:

Well, these particular seats are only about 6 months old and haven't really had enough time to drop much. I also replaced the springs in my seats and it really gave them a lift - but I am not thinking 3 inches! At 6' 2" my head does get close to the roof though!

I have recovered the seats on several Z's that I have owned in the last 25 years. I have noticed the height to drop just a little after the material relaxes and things settle. This previous experience is where I learned the "Rub Down" trick and the Summer Weather thing. The summer heat here in Houston is really oppressive as you probably already know - you will see a big difference then.

Another thing that you could do in the meantime is do the Rub Down with LEXOL conditioner. LEXOL is a premium leather cleaner/conditioner and it will help everything relax and smooth out.

When I get the rest of my Z reassembled perhaps we can get all of the Houston guys together again.

Finally... Be sure to save the Butterscotch...I am betting there is a member somewhere looking for some.

ZCurves, In your experiences does the leather burn more than the vinyl?

I've only had experience with cloth vs. leather, and I never really leave my car in the sun to find out how bad the vinyl can be...

At least it doesn't have those little metal vents to brand you as Datsun cattle

ZCurves, In your experiences does the leather burn more than the vinyl?

I've only had experience with cloth vs. leather, and I never really leave my car in the sun to find out how bad the vinyl can be...

At least it doesn't have those little metal vents to brand you as Datsun cattle

I believe that the Vinyl actually stores more heat and then lovingly transfers it to your backside when you sit down. Leather just doesn't seem to store that much heat energy.

Regardless of material, in the past I have used a couple of Beach Towels that I place over the seats when it has been parked in the sun. Then the problem goes away.

One thing that I hate about these seats is the Lumbar support (or lack thereof). My wife is making me a couple of little pillows to alleviate this problem for road trips around Texas.

As for the Branding, when I was younger I drove my brothers Z which had the little vents in it, to Victoria/Corpus and remember being tired and having the Quarter sized pink "brands" on my back. It is funny that you mentioned that....

I believe that the Vinyl actually stores more heat and then lovingly transfers it to your backside when you sit down. Leather just doesn't seem to store that much heat energy.

I hate to get all sciencey but I doubt that the heat capacity of PVC or any other organic polymer is significantly different than leather. I suspect the difference is in how it transfers the energy back to your butt. Vinyl seems to be quite good at butt heat transfer.:D