IGNORED

Should I Get a 280z?

Dank

Hi Dank, welcome aboard!

If all of the stuff is actually true, and it looks like it could be, the car looks good from here (Idaho :cool:). The price is right where it should be I'd think. Search here for issues and read all of the posts you have time for. Rust is a huge issue on these cars. As far as operating costs, they aren't budget busters. Expect something around 18 -25 mpg. Parts are cheap and plentiful and there is a ton of help and experience here. You'll need to get a service manual and be able to do some wrenching or be able to learn to. It is all little stuff, but these cars are considered dinosaurs to the modern repair shop. I'd drive my 77 anywhere on the planet and not expect any issues at all.

And you'll have to do something about the color scheme. It has some serious chick deflection about it. (IMO) I'd say check it out, if you like it, drive it home and smile all the way!

Leonard

That has to be one of the ugliest re-paints that I have ever seen - woof. But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you are buying is another person's version of "cool" paint. The seat covers are also not very attractive. But this is all cosmetic and not your greatest concerns.

Does it have a sunroof? That's not a great thing to have - can cause leaks and rust.

Re-paint and undercoat can hide some really dodgey rust "repairs". Take a magnet with you, a small jack and something to lay down on while you probe the underside or better yet bring the car to a local garage and put it on a lift. Make sure that you lift the carpets to see the floors.

Look for wiring hacking.

I cant tell, but is one door panel black and one brown?

Click on the link in my signature to get an idea on where to look for rust on a Connecticut car. I aint saying that this car is a shitbox, but look hard at this one or any other.

And, these are 30+ year old cars. A daily driver for a college student might be asking too much.

Do your homework and research here and the other 2 Z car sites. Get in contact with local Z clubs for more guidance and possibly a better looking car. Or, this could very well be a great car that is - IMHO - cosmetically challenged!

I had good success with my 280, but you will need to be a little handy with a wrench from time to time. Fuel injection is generally very reliable, but some parts are hard to find and wiring that is thirty three years old is subject to issues.

Good luck.

yea i mean the cosmetic stuff i can get fixed pretty easily but its probably not gonna be a daily driver really...i mean ill drive it up to school but i wont be using it everyday and if i do use it i wont be driving very far. and theres a car club here so finding tools and people to help me out wont be a problem

thanks guys

Leave it those colors, with those groovy (pun very much intended, long live the Disco lingo) wheels and ice-cream-topping-colored interior, and put a reciprocating red LED in the grille. You'll be the envy of every black Trans-Am that still manages to sputter & smolder to a start each morning.

If the seller has some receipts to back up his claims looks like a pretty good deal. Just remember anyone can say "total rebuild 6 months ago". Take it for a test drive and see how you like it, check for rust in all the usual areas, and make sure it runs decent and you should be set.

The color looks fine it's the orange accents that make it look ugly imo.

I have a '78 280z, I've been driving it for over 20 years and still love it! I was lucky enough to find a mechanic that specializes in Z's. It's been a good reliable car and has only need one major repair in all the years I've had it. It's cute and it's fun to drive.