IGNORED

Type A shifter bushings

I am trying to get a better feel in my shifter. I have pulled my center console to try to clean it up and maybe put some paint on it and refresh the chrome strip with a sharpie as has been documented. What I was wondering is if there is a harder rubber alternative to the stock rubber shifter bushings?

I would like to make the shifter feel a bit more solid. I have looked at some of the usual Z parts places and with no luck. Does anybody make a kit for this?

Thanks

I've seen replacements of solid aluminum, but nothing listed in harder rubber or poly. I replaced mine with new factory rubber, and it seems OK to me. You could also try removing your rubber ones and taking them to an off-road shop to see if they could match them up with some poly bushings for off-road shocks. Seems to me that they look very similar to some of the shock bushings I've seen, might get lucky.

Edited by Arne

That's easy, use type "B" ha ha but seriously latter type B solves many problems inherent to the A trans, I rebuilt mine twice before I woke up and got a 280Z trans. Better shifter feel even with stock bushings, b type is one piece bellhousing and gearbox which solves problem of torque flexing and counter shaft bearing failure of three piece unit. Syncros are better too.

Syncros are better too.
I can't dispute your other claims, but it's hard to see how the synchros on the B boxes could be better, as they all use the same synchro (baulk) rings. The 'A' 4 speeds, 'B' 4 speeds and 'B' 5 speeds all use part number 32604-P0100. Edited by Arne

UPDATE:

For All you type A tranny folks, I think we have a solution to firm up our shifters. I was looking through some spare parts, and noticed my front sway bar end link poly bushings are very close to the same size as the shifter bushings..

4488981575_84698e1b08_b.jpg

I took some measurements and the OEM bushings on the left are darn near the exact same size as the end link bushings. The outer diameter of the OEM bushing is 0.005-0.008" larger than the poly end link bushing on the right. Which is good. Just to be sure I did a test fit into the cylinder that holds the shifter bushings on our Type A linkage. It is an interference fit, just like it needs to be with the poly bushings. So far so good.

Next job is to carefully drill out the ID of the poly bushings so it can fit over the shifter. I will put which drill bit to use to do this when I get it right. Then it is just a matter of installing the bushings. The overall height of the poly bushings is a little less than the OEM ones, but I am hoping that the fit will be so tight that it will not matter. If it will not work, I will take a small slice off the rubber bushings as s spacer, and presto... Type A poly shifter bushing kit with MINIMAL work.

What I meant was better syncromesh of the gears, and like I said I rebuilt the thing twice before a gave up on the A trans. I got tired of it jumping out of gear, grinding between 1st and 2nd and bearing noise though 1 and 3rd gears. Downshifting is what was causing torque flexing and bearing failure. That on top of sloppy shifter feel. Since installing the B trans I have all but forgotten about whole transmission issue and that was over 12 years ago. P.S. and those are not claims they are pure fact from my own personal experience.

Edited by Zforce

FWIW I believe the linkage is exactly the same as that for the datsun roadster. There are poly bushings available for that, and I replaced mine a few months back. You can go to datsunparts.com and search for shift lever bushing. Part number is 1784-you'll need to scroll down the page.

Edited by tlorber

SUCCESS.. finished my install today with the poly bushings. Shifter feels more solid and stops like a bolt action rifle. I also refinished my console and all that is left is to find a silver sharpie so I can go over my trim to brighten it up.
HaHa LOL bolt action rifle. Sick description, gotta feel nice! Congradulations, I see this came togethere in true Hot Rodder fashion :cool: . Edited by WingZr0

FWIW I believe the linkage is exactly the same as that for the datsun roadster. There are poly bushings available for that, and I replaced mine a few months back. You can go to datsunparts.com and search for shift lever bushing. Part number is 1784-you'll need to scroll down the page.

yup those are delrin, I may try those to see how they compare...for 14 bucks, why not.