IGNORED

72 interior rear quarters plastic panels

richard1

After 38 years, we may all agree that the rear quarter plastic panels may not be as tight as new and squeaks may come from on the road.

My car is original but it happened that I replaced some rivets with new repros sold by MSA but they don't feel to fit tight. Is there any remedy to the squeaks problem of the rear portion of the cabin. I have no problem at the front

I have heard of this problem before, so i plan on installing rivnuts in all of the holes and installing the panels with black machine screws so they won't move around it all. Sorry i can't comment on the MSA rivets

I bought my last bag of 10 trim rivets from Nissan, and they seem to fit pretty well. Still a fair number of squeaks in the rear, though. Part number for black is 90909-E4100, my club discounted price was $0.86 each back in '08.

Is it a rivet with a black screw in the middle you have already found somewhere to fit these holes and panels without enlarging the plastic finishers or the body holes?

Your solution has merit as far as 38 YO plastic panels are prone to cracks and breaks and we need to be pretty careful.

I bought my last bag of 10 trim rivets from Nissan, and they seem to fit pretty well. Still a fair number of squeaks in the rear, though. Part number for black is 90909-E4100, my club discounted price was $0.86 each back in '08.

Yes......I have the same part number but coming from MSA...........OEM Nissan for old Zs is outsourced to cheap manufacturers. I learned it with weather striping I sent back to Courtesy Nissan as "jobber" repros for the 72s.

On my previous Z, (years ago), I glued thin strips of black felt along the locations where the plastic panels meet. Presto, no squeaks!

My new repro panels don't squeak yet, but when they do, I use the same fix.

An idea I picked up on another car forum was to use Velcro tape for squeak elimination. Get the kind Home Depot sells in rolls. Throw away the "hook" side, and use the adhesive backed felt side where you need it.

Nissan used to sell a repair kit for the "Squeek" issue. It was a bag on adhesive backed, 3/16" wide felt strips to be used where ever plastic contacted opther plastic?? I guess.

4) 4" felt strips

2) 12" felt strips

2) 18" 1/16" thick closed cell foam strips (10mm wide)

I don't have a part number but here's a picture of the contents....

Dave

post-4921-14150810437044_thumb.jpg