IGNORED

hatch window seal-MSA vs. VB pics

madkaw

Okay, so I thought I lost my precision hatch seal from MSA and i ordered another one from VB,---because MSA was on back order. I get the VB window seal today and notice a distinct difference in the seal when it comes to the SS trim channel. The pic says it all. The VB channel for the molding in MUCH wider then the MSA seal. It looks too wide and I would be skeptical of how well it would hold the molding in place. I used a precision on the front windshield and the molding fit very snug under the channel lip. I will probably send back or sell the hatch window seal from VB, but I wanted to present this to the forum for some feedback. I will say that the rubber on the VB seal looked better and seemed a bit softer, but the difference was negligible IMHO. There was no manufactuer name on the VB packaging, so I don't know who makes it

post-7622-14150810433774_thumb.jpg

Edited by madkaw
forgot something

Steve, I used the Precision kit on my car 2 years ago. I believe mine came from MSA, but I can't confirm that right now, nor do I know that there is any difference between Precision kits from other vendors.

But the key issue is that the trim channel on mine is rather narrow, and doesn't show the trim correctly. I'd say that the trim that shows is only 8-10 mm wide, the rubber overlaps the trim too far IMHO.

Seeing the difference, and seeing how the Precision piece looks on my car, I'd be tempted to try the BD piece with the wider groove.

I'll try to take a picture and post it here later this evening.

Edited by Arne

Arne,

I would be tempted to use the VB seal, but it wouldn't match the front seal-and the difference is too great. I think your right that the seal does hide more of the SS then it should, but I powder coated all my SS black, so it doesn't show much anyway. A special note; I read that it is a good idea to install the trim before installing the windshield in the car and that worked out well. I put the glass on a body stand and was able to "work" the seal as i installed the trim.

post-7622-14150810434072_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150810434282_thumb.jpg

My glass guy put in the trim before the seal, seemed to work well for him.

I can see where with the blacked out trim that the narrow might be acceptable. But with the stainless I'd probably want the wider groove, if I could get one. My rear groove is noticeably narrower than the front, even though they all came from Precision in the same kit.

I went out and measured the amount of SS trim that is exposed on both the windshield and hatch of both the 69 and 73. The majority is right at 10mm wide for OEM, nothing under. There was some small varience over the runs of length and in the corners, but not much. It appears if the channel is too wide it will expose the flat portion of the trim. Like where it has shrank in the corners of the 69. Hope this is of some help

Bonzi Lon

FWIW - Do you think that the "Wider" channel might be reduced when the seal flattened out as it is installed into the frame??

This issue is pretty important to me as I have the Precision Kit and will be installing very soon.

ALSO - When I spoke with Precision on the phone (6 mo's ago), the rep for Datsun/Nissan told me that they supply seals for both MSA and VB/BD. Thoughts anyone??

I talked to the VB customer service and she said that there seals were NOT made by precision, but wouldn't tell who did make them.

Your point about the channel might be valid, but I didn't notice much of a change in channel width with the precision seal. Either way, the precision seal channel is VERY tight around the trim and I did nick the seal installing the trim. Definitely install trim before installing the glass in the car. Lubricate seal with windex or something so the trim will slide around easier. I'm going to live with the nick, because it was scary enough putting a new seal on a 40 year old glass(with the vertical lines) without busting it, I don't want to do that again.

I talked to the VB customer service and she said that there seals were NOT made by precision, but wouldn't tell who did make them.

Your point about the channel might be valid, but I didn't notice much of a change in channel width with the precision seal. Either way, the precision seal channel is VERY tight around the trim and I did nick the seal installing the trim. Definitely install trim before installing the glass in the car. Lubricate seal with windex or something so the trim will slide around easier. I'm going to live with the nick, because it was scary enough putting a new seal on a 40 year old glass(with the vertical lines) without busting it, I don't want to do that again.

Imagine that! Oh well... Yeah, I looked at my seal and the Chrome Channel was normal compared to the original.

Question, did you use any sealant? or go bare with the seal? I have not tackled this one yet...

After all of this investigation by club members, I suggest that anyone who has a seal which the chrome channel is too wide. Return it.

I REALLY appreciate MadKaw for bringing this up. Thanks...

Now I guess we'll need a new post for Issues/Concerns on the rest of the rubbers.

• 1 year later...

I am just getting to installing new seals. The MSA precision seal for hatch glass that came in the kit has a narrow opening for the trim. A second hatch glass seal that was mistakenly added to the kit as the inner hatch seal body seal actually has the wider opening for the trim. It now seems to match Arne's comment that PRC (precision) does both hatch glass seal types (wide and narrow)... but maybe the specs are for different retailers?