IGNORED

Rear bearing cap side seal oil leak

zark

I have an oil leak that I have pinned down to the side seals on rear bearing cap (L24). The engine was recently professional rebuilt. I pulled the pan off a couple of weeks ago and pulled the side seals out. They slid right out they where slightly smaller than the new nissan parts I had. I used CRC brake cleaner and pipe cleaners to clean the oil out of the slots. Then inserted the new seals with RTV silicone sealant, then put the pan back with a new Felpro gasket and spot of slicone at each of the bearing cap/block joints Let it sit for day. Then put the oil in and took it for a drive and I discovered the leak was reduced I would guess by 70%. Just few drops on the floor.

So I am going to do it agian. Anyone have any advice or tricks installing the seals so they will not leak.

Dave....Sounds like it could be the rear seal. Is the oil coming from the weep hole where the tranny bolts to the rear engine plate? If so, it could be the rear seal. If they set the rear seal in the old seal groove it can leak. Guy

No there is no oil coming from the weep hole. The crank was in great shape. As I said the leak is at the side seals. The engine back plate makes the oil come down the front side of the plate, between the plate and block.

I asked the machinist if he put any sealant in the corners of the block opening before installing the cap and he did not. The Haynes shows sealant there and in the side seal channels. The FSM says nothing about sealant.

I am looking for any advice on how to stop the leak. Since I almost got it stopped with last try I guess I will just try it agian.

Just a followup. I pulled the oil pan and the side seals looked quite tight compared the early ones that just slid right out. So I went to the local big animal vet and got a long 19 guage injection needle and syringe and put a little RTV silicone in it. The needle slid right up the round identation one oneside of the seals and then I injected the silicone as I slowly withdrew the needle. It took very little silicone on each seal. Put the pan with new gasket back on and let it sit for 12 hours before putting the oil in. Leak is gone.