IGNORED

new here,,getting a 240z need help with vin

Hi my name is Terry and I am coming into possession of a 73 240z and the vin is S30101781 and it is a right hand drive and in a 100 pieces as the person tore it down and started restro but lost interest and it has no motor or tranny but all other parts appear to be there but I am unsure,could be some items missing,,he cut out floor pans but never installed new,,anybody know what car might be worth? and how to decode vin,,tks for any help,,

Someone can correct me if I am wrong... but if the VIN is begins with HS30 it should be a Japanese Domestic Market Fairylady Z, not a 240Z. A 240Z would begin with HLS30 ("L" for left-hand drive). I dont' think it would be worth much, since it is only the body.

For more information on reading VIN numbers visit:

http://www.zhome.com

I am new to the z so I am unsure, but it is an original right hand and the title says it is a 240z and I was told it is a fair lady and one of 60,,but thats all the info I have right now
Well if it's really right hand drive then it could've been retitled, or renamed rather, as a 240Z once it got here into the States. And as far as this part goes, maybe 1 out of 60 in the states and maybe 1 of 60 for that year of 1973. You gotta remember there were quite a few military guys bringing these back in the early 70's. Also you should know it originally came with the S20 motor and NOT the L series inline six engines (L24, L26 or L28 ) offered for us. So you'll need to find another Fairlady parts car or S20 motor for sale to put it back to stock JDM spec, other wise it's just another right hand drive 240Z. Edited by WingZr0

Well if it's really right hand drive then it could've been retitled, or renamed rather, as a 240Z once it got here into the States. And as far as this part goes, maybe 1 out of 60 in the states and maybe 1 of 60 for that year of 1973. You gotta remember there were quite a few military guys bringing these back in the early 70's. Also you should know it originally came with the S20 motor and NOT the L series inline six engines (L24, L26 or L28 ) offered for us. So you'll need to find another Fairlady parts car or S20 motor for sale to put it back to stock JDM spec, other wise it's just another right hand drive 240Z.

yes your probably right,,it probably was retitled

I also highly recommend you visit IZCC.com and another site called Zpoint.nl , it's a rally car site with tons of cool vintage 1970's rally racing movies too watch he you really wanna see what these cars are about :) . ~Z~

What your title says is probably incorrect if the VIN is "S30 101781". The serial number is six digits which leads me to believe the car is a Japanese market "HS30" Fairlady Z produced between October 1971 and September 1973. That particular model was fitted with the L24 series engine however the earlier model "S30", produced between October 1969 and September 1975 was fitted with the L20 series engine. I suspect an earlier "S30" model would have had a five digit serial number.

....I am coming into possession of a 73 240z and the vin is S30101781 and it is a right hand drive......

'S30-101781' would be correct for an 'S30-S' model 'Fairlady Z-L' ( 'ZDx' / Deluxe ) or an 'S30' model 'Fairlady Z' ( 'ZS' / Standard ) built very early in 1973 ( most likely January 1973 ). Body serial numbers for the Japanese market cars changed from five digit to six digit at the beginning of 1972, so the six digit serial on your car would be seem to be correct.

It would have come from the factory with the L20A engine. Other specs will have depended on whether it was the Deluxe or Standard model, and what showroom options the original purchaser chose when he ordered the car new.

A good look through the parts with the car, and the car itself, should give you some clues as to whether it was the base 'Fairlady Z' or the better-equipped 'Fairlady Z-L' when it was new.

We've discussed these cars on the forum many times in the past, and the search function should reveal many threads with useful data. I wouldn't place too much hope in finding any information about the car on zhome.com if I were you.

If you get stuck, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help. I've got a 1970-build Fairlady Z-L and a couple of other Japanese market Zs, and a fair bit of literature on them.

I'm afraid it's hard to give an estimate on value without knowing the condition of the body, and without knowing what's missing......

Cheers,

Alan T.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong... but if the VIN is begins with HS30 it should be a Japanese Domestic Market Fairylady Z, not a 240Z. A 240Z would begin with HLS30 ("L" for left-hand drive). I dont' think it would be worth much, since it is only the body.

For more information on reading VIN numbers visit:

http://www.zhome.com

Your wrong. S30 is a valid chassis code for a Fairlady Z. HS30 meant it was either a 240Z or a Fairlady 240Z

Also you should know it originally came with the S20 motor and NOT the L series inline six engines (L24, L26 or L28 ) offered for us. So you'll need to find another Fairlady parts car or S20 motor for sale to put it back to stock JDM spec, other wise it's just another right hand drive 240Z.

Your wrong too. S30's had and L20 in them. PS30 has the S20.

'S30-101781' would be correct for an 'S30-S' model 'Fairlady Z-L' ( 'ZDx' / Deluxe ) or an 'S30' model 'Fairlady Z' ( 'ZS' / Standard ) built very early in 1973 ( most likely January 1973 ). Body serial numbers for the Japanese market cars changed from five digit to six digit at the beginning of 1972, so the six digit serial on your car would be seem to be correct.

It would have come from the factory with the L20A engine. Other specs will have depended on whether it was the Deluxe or Standard model, and what showroom options the original purchaser chose when he ordered the car new.

A good look through the parts with the car, and the car itself, should give you some clues as to whether it was the base 'Fairlady Z' or the better-equipped 'Fairlady Z-L' when it was new.

We've discussed these cars on the forum many times in the past, and the search function should reveal many threads with useful data. I wouldn't place too much hope in finding any information about the car on zhome.com if I were you.

If you get stuck, give me a shout and I'll do my best to help. I've got a 1970-build Fairlady Z-L and a couple of other Japanese market Zs, and a fair bit of literature on them.

I'm afraid it's hard to give an estimate on value without knowing the condition of the body, and without knowing what's missing......

Cheers,

Alan T.

It may be a week or 2 before I get the car,,when I do I will post some pics.