IGNORED

Throw Out Bearing Collar Confirmation

Marty Rogan

It's been awhile since I had to deal with this issue, so I thought I would throw out my plan and have you guys confirm my thinking.

The car is an early '71. I currently have an '83 ZX motor and 5 spd in it. The flywheel is a 240mm from a 2+2 with a matching Nissan clutch. Auto adjust slave cylinder for the 5spd, with the ZX throwout bearing collar and fork.

I am going to put the original L24 and 4 spd back in. I intend to put in the fly wheel, clutch, throwout bearing collar, fork and slave cyinder from the ZX set up. My understanding is that if you keep all of this the same, it will match up to either trans, correct?

TIA,

Marty

If I read what you wrote correctly, yes. The way I've tried to learn this is that the throwout bearing collar and the pressure plate need to be matched. The rest is mostly irrelevant, but I can see the advantages to the later slave and fork.

Going back to the original Type A, Marty? Can I ask why?

Well, I let my track obsession get the best of me, LOL!! I went out and bought a purpose built track car, so I need to let the yellow Z go.

I want to keep the '83 L28 and 5 spd as spares for the track car, so I am putting the original drive train back in the car before I sell it.

Guess I will have to resign from the Yellow Z Car Club now, LOL!!!

Marty

Marty, you can always throw that yellow color on the track car too!

I had issues with putting the 5 speed throw out collar on a 240 flywheel & clutch set up. Thought I could get away with it, but had to correct it after a couple good hard gear grinds at the track.

Well, I let my track obsession get the best of me, LOL!! I went out and bought a purpose built track car, so I need to let the yellow Z go.

I want to keep the '83 L28 and 5 spd as spares for the track car, so I am putting the original drive train back in the car before I sell it.

Guess I will have to resign from the Yellow Z Car Club now, LOL!!!

Marty

''You'll wonder where the yellow went'' Ha you may not be old enough to remember that slogan. Yellow race cars rock. LOL Gary

I hope you don't regret the not having a yellow one at some point, Marty. I still find myself looking at yellow 240Zs, especially early 919 like yours. My 905 red is nice, but yellow...

I know I will regret it. Hell, I am having second thoughts already, LOL!!

I wanted to get more HP and performance. That would have meant coilovers, camber plates, an LSD, a hotter cam and triple Mikuni's. That would have got me about 230HP and a seriously quick car. But, I am sure after a couple of years I would have been looking for still more HP. It was cheaper in the long to just get a race that was already done. Besides, the yellow car is just too nice to start cutting into.

Marty

Marty, you can always throw that yellow color on the track car too!

I had issues with putting the 5 speed throw out collar on a 240 flywheel & clutch set up. Thought I could get away with it, but had to correct it after a couple good hard gear grinds at the track.

Well there's a thought! I do need to get the front end and doors painted on the new car. It may not cost that much more to turn it yellow.

Since I going to use the flywheel, clutch and collar that are in there now. I think I should be fine.

Marty