IGNORED

Kia Sportage weatherstip rocks!

steve91tt

Got mine from the local pull apart. 02 Sportage hit in the front. Interior perfect. Both sides for $35. Can honestly say it fits like it was custom made for my '72'. About 16" too long, just trim and the 90 degree corner works fine. Doors shut tight without slamming or adjusting. No pics as my interior is currently bare except for floor insulation. Good stuff and I would gladly pay for it new.

If you have 16" as left over, can't you post a pic of that, cross section view and even better if it could be compared with the original.

Chris

Demanding aren't you?

I went out to the salvage yard today. I found 5 pieces of weather strip. The rear doors have the same profile but are roughly 18" shorter than the front doors. In a pinch they could do with pieces left over from a longer set.

The bend is not a formed part of the weatherstrip. It was bent at the time of installation. It does have the metal ribs inside the weatherstrip. I am sure the bend could be a part of a straight section given the right manipulation. As with all used weatherstrip there may be areas that are ripped torn or mangled. Start on end of the bad portion and cut.

I have not installed this yet, but I plan on mitering the ends where the pieces come together. That portion will also be on the vertical area where the hinges are with the mitered end from the top will be angled down on the outside which should channel any water to the outside of the jamb.

Curious. Will these work on 240's made before 8-71? I thought there was a difference. For instance, the "all in one w/strip kit that you can buy from MSA/Black Dragon has door seals that don't work on my early Z. From what I've read they do OK on 72-78 Z's though.

Edited by JimmyZ

Curious. Will these work on 240's made before 8-71? I thought there was a difference. For instance, the "all in one w/strip kit that you can buy from MSA/Black Dragon has door seals that don't work on my early Z. From what I've read they do OK on 72-78 Z's though.

The door w/strip on my 4/71 Z is from MSA and fits quite nicely. What set did you buy that didn't work?

Dennis

stock 240z cross section.

I did put on the kia ws on the drivers opening. I didn't cut it to fit yet, The door closes well but when opening trying to open it is a little tough. That could be because I left it long at the hinge side and might be binding.

All in all it's a very good replacement even with used weatherstripping.

post-4044-14150809841257_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darrel

The door w/strip on my 4/71 Z is from MSA and fits quite nicely. What set did you buy that didn't work?

Dennis

Looks like you were lucky. My 2/71 Z wasn't. :(

IIRC I got mine at Black Dragon. From what I've read it's the same supplier that MSA uses. (Precision RP) The hard closing issue has come up in a few posts. (Nice to know I'm not crazy) My door seals from precision were large enough to make opening the door difficult and closing took a healthy slam. Trying different adjusments on the door hinges, etc was no help. Things were so bad I actually broke a door handle.

The door seal in question had the pinch strip integral with the rubber.

Other that the door seals I was very happy with the rest of the kit. It's a real bargain if only for the windshield and hatch rubbers.

Darrel. Good to hear that it's working for you! I don't think that the picture you posted is of a stock "early" Z weather strip. I believe that the early Z's used a pinch strip separate from the rubber.

I really excited at the possibility of finding an affordable wx strip. I did save the article info about using JC Whitney strip but have put it off.

Jim

Edited by JimmyZ