IGNORED

Just a little donor car dilemma

MidLifeCrisiz

Just acquired a '73 body for a donor for my '71. I posted pictures in my album. Seems to be very solid at least where I need it to be, but now I'm feeling just a little guilt that I'm going to cut her up to make my '71 pretty.:cry:

Short history...my '71 is very sound mechanically, 89k miles, strong structurally, and I have cleaned up the interior with new seat upholstery,etc... The bad...PO added fiberglass flares bonded over original steel and left no "weep holes". Also has a cracked windshield. So the midwest weather took it's toll and it needs new fenders, rear quarters and dog legs as well as new paint.:ermm:

So the plan is to strip the '73 of what I need and sell/dispose of the rest. I am always interested in viewing everyone else's projects and photos...so thought I would share some back.

Sorry the car is extremely dirty and didn't photograph very well. It just came out of a 15" snow drift a week ago and it's only 5 degrees here in Wisconsin. Giving it a bath was out of the question right now. PO needed cash, the barn it had been in was collapsing, so it was pulled outside to rot, luckily I got to it first...I think I hit pay dirt for the midwest!:classic:

Thanks guys. I've looked at the patch options, but I've read and been told by others that they don't match up real well and a body guy would still have to do a lot of shaping. I won't be doing the body work myself so figured if i could find good to excellent originals it would be cheaper and better in the long run. But hey that is why I posted...now that i have more than just the Tabco option I was looking for some opinions.

I appreciate the input.

John,

sorry didn't answer your question about "where in Wisconsin". I live in Manitowoc...for those tuning in on this...small city right on the shores of Lake Michigan 40 miles south of Green Bay and the currently frozen tundra.

I saw your dot on the map registry some time back...I think we are the only 2 listed in Wisconsin...there are others but not active on this site that I have seen.

Steve

I bailed on Wisconsin in 1969 but I'm still a Packer fan. I didn't think the TABCO panels were any harder to work with than any metal patching project. Yea, you gotta shape and work the metal...and your point? Find a competant metal guy.

I vote cut the '73 up and save the '71.

I bailed on Wisconsin in 1969 but I'm still a Packer fan. I didn't think the TABCO panels were any harder to work with than any metal patching project.

I suppose much depends on how much you paid for the '73 and the true condition of its panels under the paint & crud compared to the cost of new replacement panels. Was the previous owner planning a V8 conversion?

My feeling is that if the '73 is good enough to cut up for panels, it's probably good enough to save and bring back to the road in some configuration.

Add me to the list of those who left Wisconsin in 1969 - Superior to be exact.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

I suppose much depends on how much you paid for the '73 and the true condition of its panels under the paint & crud compared to the cost of new replacement panels. Was the previous owner planning a V8 conversion?

Add me to the list of those who left Wisconsin in 1969 - Superior to be exact.

Dennis

Yep, previous owner was going to a 5spd and V8, plans were to dirt track race her.

From what I can tell using a magnet on the traditionally susceptible rust areas, I have good metal...of course no telling for sure until I remove paint.