IGNORED

'69 Build on Ebay

geezer

The build date seems wrong to me. I'm restoring car number 311 and my build date is 10/69. I'm sure my door tag is original as I've owned the car for 37 years.

Larry

The door tag can also be called a conformance tag. This tag was not fitted to the car until it passed the final federal inspection which was done to ensure all mandated requirements of the importing country had been met. It was a common occurance for the cars to be shuffled according to what we refer to as VINs by the time they were shipped. They were held up in various stages of production for any number of reasons. The date of build specified on the door frame tag is the best indication of when the builds were completed and that doesn't narrow it down to more than the month. That's the simple explanation for that. A VIN can be more closely associated with the beginning order of the build. There were many instances of cars being delayed in the system, especially early on.

My communications with this seller has been bazaar at best. In trying to give him an Idea what a potential buyer for this car would want to know and be looking for. He came back with some of the most disconnected responses imaginable. Finishing with, “hey you know lonnie purcell ? LOL”,

including the LOL.

Who the heck is Lonnie Purcell?

Someone help this guy and maybe this car can be saved!

Edited by JLPurcell

If someone goes to see the car, please bring a camera and besides looking in all the obvious places for rust, etc. don't forget to get some decent pics of the data plate in the driver's door jamb (since the seller doesn't know how to operate his camera) as well the serial number on the firewall. Also, as Enigma mentioned early in the thread, a picture of the serial number on the "original" L24 engine that was removed and is to be included with the purchase of the car.