IGNORED

anyone from ventura county/santa barbara area?

MarkS30

i see a few 1st-gen Z cars around, but not much. anyone on this forum from the ventura county area?

anyone have triple sidedrafts i can drool over? :D

-Mark

btw, has anyone on here dealt with "sunwest motorsports" in ventura? im considering taking my car there to get fine tuned.

Mark,

How's it going? I'm in Santa Paula and have had experience with Sunwest. The guy certainly knows Z's quit well and can help you out but, be forwarned that he is basically a one man operation, is sometimes had to get a hold of, and is a little on the messy side....when you walk inot his shop you'll know what I'm talking about. My quess is that he has vintage Z car parts he doesn't even remember he has.......pretty good guy overall however!

Tom (240ZX)

Mark,

Let me know what you think, always good to have another source for help! I have a guy out here is T.O. Westlake area that is terrific, he is so cool he stays around late, and we work on the Z after hours together. He really appreciates that fact that the Z is a hobby and I want to do as much of the work as is possible/safe (safe meaning no mistakes). Wednesday in fact, I'm going over there to replace all my fuel tank vent hoses and install my R.T. diff mount (I call it my "diff-ondabrain" :) ) I'd like to get some good pics of the install process/results to post up here.

Mike

Here is the info about the mechanic I use:

Rick's Japanese Car Care * (805) 373-9895 37 Taylor Ct, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

Rick is great, and he has another old school guy there that used to work for Al Piano Honda/Datsun when our cars were new. So between the two of them, I'm covered.

stopped by there earlier today and talked with Mike. he was exactly as 240ZX (Tom) described above. Nice guy, I actually made an appointment for him to look at my car later this week.

But, I think I figured out the problem I was having, so I might just not need his help after all. Cool to know that in the Ventura County area we have these good resources though.

• 2 years later...
I live in Ventura. Mike at Sunwest is good guy; Extremely thorough.
^^Agreed! I know Mike pretty well and is a really good guy. Even found a 240z chassis from his yard that was pretty bad off but had the quarter panel I needed brought it to his shop in Ventura and let my dad and I take a Sawzall to it for several hours! Will take time to tell ya how to do something yourself if ya can't afford to have it done like my situation was on countless occasions. Drives a 280zx himself and is extremely knowledgeable in the Z lineage. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat! Would've posted on this earlier but I found this thread entirely by accident while searching on google to see if he had a webpage up yet for the shop I could link to in fb cause I was thinking of making an fb page for it if there wasn't one already. I need to visit here more often LOL.

With the economy and all I'm not sure if Stan is still there or not but he is very knowledgeable as well and knows 240z's inside out and also a great guy. Got my headers from him and he's come over to my place on several occasions to help me with the Z. Those 2 guys are probably 2 of the biggest reasons I got into Zs as much as I have, I can't speak highly enough of that place.