IGNORED

Another car question

cbudvet

Thanks for all the help on my last question. I forgot to ask this one as well. The body shop guy wants to paint the interior with a sound deadening material. Something to coat the interior of the doors and such to keep the rattles and noise down. What do you guys think?

carl

I'll be doing the same thing and also into the dogleg area's where I can't reach by hand..

Also, if it's the same guy that's taking a year to paint your car, tell him NOT to paint or coat the window or lock mechanisms, when he sprays in there. A YEar? Seriously?

Dave

Thanks for all the help on my last question. I forgot to ask this one as well. The body shop guy wants to paint the interior with a sound deadening material. Something to coat the interior of the doors and such to keep the rattles and noise down. What do you guys think?

carl

I would only do the floor, center tunnel and firewall areas, because that material is very heavy and very hard to remove.

If you ever want to use paintless dent repair or something, it will be impossible to push it out from the back.

Esprist

www.jdm-car-parts.com

Depends on the process. There are Sound deadening mats and Spray. Undercoating is a SDM (sound deadening material) just like the mat's but sprayable. I'll be using a sprayable SDM in the diglegs, tool boxes and quarter panels, where ya just can't reach in and hand lay or roll mat. The Doglegs are my main concern, as they are usually an untouched area and have enough panel to be noisy. My 260Z will sound as quiet as a new car on the inside, when I'm done.

Dave

Where is the fun in that?LOL

On the other hand, it might be nice to be able to hear the radio at speeds above idle.:tapemouth

That's what the 1000 Watt stereo is for. Just in case my ears weren't already bleeding. And besides, that's what a volume knob is for. LOL It's all for the wife anyways. She has a lovely voice but it shrills at higher volumes, so if I can help her NOT yell, then it's worth the extra money for the sound deadener.

Then I'll shut it off and listen to the sweet sound of my new dual exhaust system when there's nothing on the radio. (Or CD or DVD or XM Sat radio)

Dave

Unfortunately I didn't get a written date. When I left the car with him September 2008, he said he wanted to try and get it done before the winter and out of the shop. Ha! He does good work but always has an excuse. I stopped believing him after the numerous times he promised to send pictures and promised to get things finished but never delivered. I am calling him again this week to see what (if anything) has been done.

carl

Carl,

Seriously - If your car has been there since Sept 2008, you need to go and pick the damn thing up and take it elsewhere. In Texas we have this law called a Mechanics Lien that which allows a shop to TAKE YOUR CAR for none payment of services. It is a good law when used ethically (e.g. Protect shops from non-payers) but it can be abused....All I am saying is -It is better to be safe than sorry.....yada, yada...

Time to quit calling and start showing up in person. He can BS you all he want over the phone but if you're in the shop, looking at your car and what hasn't been done, he can't pull the wool over your eyes.

Buck up and be straight with him. Tell him to stop making excuses and finish the damn car. If he can't do that, then he can pay to have the car moved to a reputable shop that WILL do it right and on a decent time line.

It's your money and Your car and he's screwing with both of them. Time to put your foot down.

Dave