IGNORED

Starting Issues: Car acts like battery is dead.

cglomstad

So the last few days my 77 has been starting up, but taking a long time to crank each time and sounding as if the battery is almost dead, but the battery is fine. Today it simply won't start at all, and it's giving me the dead battery treatment, but the battery is fine. Alternator also works. And im getting sparks from the plugs. Could it be the ignition or starter? If so, any tips on how to fix that?

As mentioned above make sure that your cables are in good shape and that your battery is, in fact, "good". Secondly check your car for things that could drain your battery with the car off. I've had this same issue on my Z where one of the lights would stay on even with the door closed. (The light was hidden so it took me a while to find it). It drained the battery to the point where I could not get the starter to turn at all.

Jan

Tried 3 different batteries all from strong running cars. Connections are fine. I am going to pull the starter and get it load tested. My son had posted earlier. It is his car. The starter is a rusty mess. A new one if nothing more would improve the looks while it is sitting still. May also try jump start. Just don't want to push it back up the hill if it fails.