IGNORED

Jumping in with 2

ArnieTX

HAHA - I have them in one of my drawers in my bedroom. I'm on the SU only video now. I can't believe how simple these carbs are. The tune up video was good. My goal is to have this car running by the end of the month. Carbs have always intimidated me.

Maybe this will keep the car from getting painted pink.

815.jpg

I would take the pink car before that!!!

What you got to do is teach them to polish and clean car parts is play.

My first Z I had about 8 neighborhood kids helping me, the most was 5 at one time, longest time with one kid was 10 hours in one day. That all started when two kids stopped to ask why I'm putting so much time in a junky car, well one who likes fresh squeezed lemonade turned the question on them. Asked have ever really wanted something special, but your parents wouldn't get it for you or didn't have enough money to buy your self? Well I've always wanted a Datsun Z car even when I was your age and I now have it, ya it needs work, but that will make it more valuable to me. See I'll look at the each part and know what it took to make it look that way, and the people who helped me fix it. The reward will be greater for me than if I just bought a new sports car. The next day one of them spent 8 hours with me cleaning interior panels. I talked to the parents, took him for a ride to get ice-cream. That kids first car was purchased with lawnmower money, it is a Datsun 240z, and it's a rust bucket. My parents notice the body is done and he just got his drivers lenience. The point of this story is the hard work will make them see things differently, you get help and they respect what you have.

As a kid my self I all ways wanted to know how things worked and when my dad was working on a car even at 2 I would sneak out of the house and under the car it drove my Mom nuts. I was also watching my grandfather at the farm and help rebuild my first motor at 7. I hope your kids are helping you out they will never forget it. When you leave you want them fighting over the car, because of what it means to them not how cool it is.

Since I have the intake and exhaust off of the engine and a lot of stuff is already disconnected or missing, I'm going to yank it. While it's out I'll clean it up. My new Z friend Larry has a beautifully cleaned up engine on his stand so Monday when I hook up with him, I'll pick his brain on how he made it look so nice. While it's out I'll do the clutch and clean up and degrease the engine bay. Then I'll run the missing fuel line and put the cleaned up tank back in. The valve cover has one bolt that won't tighten so I guess it's stripped. I am assuming I can rethread it although I've never done that before. Sounds like another set off tools... :).

Lot's of work to do but I'm having fun. Car #3 is clean enough to make the effort. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it though since I'm tied up for the next week. I appreciate everyone's input.

Arnie get a helicoil kit that is the best way to repair stripped out threads in alluminum. My first car the heads on every bolt was helicoiled, but your not racing the car so I would not go that far. You should get a tap and die set if you don't have one they are great for cleaning and repairing threads. Some of my taps and dies were getting worn-out so I picked up the Kobalt set at Lowes, it is a very nice set especially for the $$.

Arnie get a helicoil kit that is the best way to repair stripped out threads in alluminum. My first car the heads on every bolt was helicoiled, but your not racing the car so I would not go that far. You should get a tap and die set if you don't have one they are great for cleaning and repairing threads. Some of my taps and dies were getting worn-out so I picked up the Kobalt set at Lowes, it is a very nice set especially for the $$.

We could probaly start a Heli-Coil thread but what the heck. Do Heli-Coil kits come with the correct drill and tap for the particular kit? Been a long time since I've had the need for one and the memory fails..... Heli-Coils are great parts saver items.

Also I have three taps that do the vast majority of thread chasing on datsuns 6mmX1.0 8mmX1.25 & 10mmX1.5. Those 3 taps and matching dies should chase just about anything a Datsun will throw at you.

I bought a cheapie set of taps and dies years ago at a traveling tool sale for like $30 or somesuch. Have since used 3 or four and the rest haven't left the box they came in. I always thought if I wore out or broke a particular piece I'd replace it with a good one but I haven't even hurt one of the cheapies....

It depends what kit you get. I recommend getting the ones with the bit and tap, that way you have the right bit for the coil. Napa's kits come with only the tap and the coils, and I don't mind they give you a vinyl bag with the bit info on the front so that works well. I agree the 3 sizes you need the most are listed, I've only once needed a different size on my Z. Those are the size helicoils I have also, and the taps needed to work these. The coils if done right are an upgrade in aluminum it keeps the fastener from sensing, can take the part off weather it is hot or cold and is less likely to strip. The disavantage to them is when you have a very narrow wall the bolt goes into; in that case you run the risk of cracks forming over time.