IGNORED

Wish me luck ... replacing front clip on 240Z

SuomiZ

I picked what I thought was a nice Z. Closer inspection showed front end damage. We're replacing the whole front clip from the struts forward and the driver side rocker.

Car goes to the fabricator today. There are misc metal issues that will be addressed including some fixing up of the floor pan, some minor work on the frame rails, and spot welding of some clips and such that fell off.

I'm considering drilling out the spot welds that hold the battery tray in and then cleaning up that area and then re-welding it up ... well see how it goes.

If you look at the pictures you can see it has a great paint job ... new weatherstrip, Konig rewinds, new tires, and good chrome. The former owner meant to go all the way with the car, but ran out of money - common story.

post-20512-14150809150506_thumb.jpg

post-20512-14150809150801_thumb.jpg

post-20512-14150809151165_thumb.jpg

post-20512-14150809151481_thumb.jpg

post-20512-14150809151746_thumb.jpg

post-20512-14150809152596_thumb.jpg

post-20512-14150809152903_thumb.jpg

post-20512-1415080915316_thumb.jpg

The only repaint will be the rocker. The engine bay needed to be re-done. The front fenders and hood were removed prior to the bodywork, so they too are done. My plans are to do the suspension (bushings, struts, and springs), brakes, and drop in a new engine (I had one I rebuilt that's in need of a home). I figured with engine out of the car I should go ahead and do the things I needed to do. The car came with a set of triple 42DCOE's. I suspect I'll have something that drives by Spring. This is my Winter project.

One exit down in Mead. BTW, I found a great guy nearby who does welding and fabrication for a reasonable fee (good / inexpensive usually don't go together these days). If you need floor pan, fabrication, or rust repair work ... he's good.

My car was also hit in the front before I bought it. The LH side was cut off and replaced from behind the strut tower forward and across the radiator support. If done right, it will be as good as new. Mine came out great and I'm sure yours will too. As long as all the bent areas are replaced and everything is measured to the specs, you'll be fine. I also had to replace the crossmember, LCA and the TC rod. They were all bent.

Sorry for the small, grainy pics. The repair was done 18 years ago and the film pics were scanned at least six years ago when scanners still sucked.

Wrinkled rail and shotgun

e6724856.jpg

Donor car

12b063b3.jpg

Donor corner cut off

Image026.jpg

Bent parts cut out and ready for replacement

e76dc6a8.jpg

Back together and painted

8f00a29d.jpg