IGNORED

ID this part?

cowman345

My brother and I are running into a little problem in restoring a 71 240Z.

The car is guzzling gas, and we seem to have tracked the issue down to this seemingly faulty part (see pics).

240zPart01.jpg

240zPart02.jpg

Trouble is, we can't find this part anywhere! And we don't really know the official name, so searching for it is tough.

Can anyone help identify this part, or even shed some light on where to find it?

Details: it's part of the fuel system, seems to be a check valve of some sort. There are two of these in the engine, one of which works (and the car runs, but guzzles gas, presumably due to this broken thing).

Thanks in advance!

dave

It is an emission control device used for '70 - '73 models called a Flow Guide Valve. Here is a simple test proceedure. Now that you know what it is called, a simple search is possible showing it has been discussed a few times.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/search.php?searchid=824449

Edited by geezer

That's the Flow Guide Valve, part of the evaporative emissions control. It's basically there to provide a way for the engine to suck evap fumes from the expansion tank and burn them. The three ports should be routed as follows. The 'A' port goes to the rear of the airbox. The 'C' goes to the crankcase breather on the block (near the distributor). The 'F' goes to the rear of the car to the fuel expansion chamber that's mounted inside the car in the right rear above the fuel filler. The most recent part number I have for it is 14910-E8800, which still looks as it may be available from Nissan for less than $7.00.

But I'm having problems imagining how this part could cause a radical loss of fuel economy even if it failed in some way. Assuming of course, that all the hoses are connected properly.

I wonder if the line that runs to the rear of the car is connected to the wrong spot near the tank. Perhaps connected to someplace low on the tank itself, so the vacuum purge is actually sucking fuel from the gas tank itself and not fumes from the expansion tank.

post-8596-14150808959028_thumb.jpg