IGNORED

Removing Emission recirculation, is it worth it?

Reverend

Ok, here's the deal. I got 72 240Z with emission recirculation and i was wondering is it worth effort to take it off? We dont have emission limits to 30+ cars. Does it give any Hp or make engine rev better?

Also i would apreciate pictures and instructions about this.:stupid:

Thanks already!

Take it off.....It'll give you more H.P. just by dumping the drag created by the smog pump. Also it allows you to put 17 degrees of advance! It's a cleaner look.....Get rid of the extras on the balance tube....Bruce at Z Therapy will take care of that! All IMO.

Edited by Diseazd

So the question was about the air injection pump and not the exhaust gas recirculator?

EGR leave on.

The air pump is a low pressure pump and takes almost no HP to drive. The weight is pretty insignificant too. Don't expect to notice a performance increase as it will be very small, but as other have said there will be one.

Steve

Dropping the smog pump is dropping a lot of weight too...

Am I correct in understanding that the "smog pump" just diluted the exhaust gas with fresh air, to "cheat" the old emissions tests?

Unburned gas in the exhaust steam is given additional oxygen by the air pump to complete combustion to some extent. At the federal level emissions are measure by weight (grams/mile) so they cannot be diluted. At your local test center there is a dilution effect as they are measured as a percent or in PPM.

Steve

Unburned gas in the exhaust steam is given additional oxygen by the air pump to complete combustion to some extent. At the federal level emissions are measure by weight (grams/mile) so they cannot be diluted. At your local test center there is a dilution effect as they are measured as a percent or in PPM.

Steve

That's true. In fact, if there any holes in the exhaust system or leaks of any kind that are large enough, the car will fail.

Take it off.....It'll give you more H.P. just by dumping the drag created by the smog pump. Also it allows you to put 17 degrees of advance! It's a cleaner look.....Get rid of the extras on the balance tube....Bruce at Z Therapy will take care of that! All IMO.

I'd be interested to know what injecting air into the exhaust has to do with ignition timing.

Steve