IGNORED

Is $900 too much for entirely new carburetors?

oshan8

Hi -- I'm new to the forums. I just got a 1972 240z, and have to entirely replace the carburetors. The closest mechanic to me who knows Zs quoted me around $900 for "better than new" custom rebuilt carbs. Is that too much? -- Thanks.

Thanks so much for your reply -- I feel a little better since looking at the Z therapy price list. I think the local custom one he's getting is very similar to their SS Reman one, which totals $780, not including the labor to install it. I haven't had a car with carbs in 20 years, and so I just wasnt sure if $900 was just "the high end" or the "you're getting robbed" end. :)

• 9 months later...

On average, just about any car with multiple carburetors will run you $600+ for new replacements, but be careful when replacing your carbs.

These carburetors get blamed for a lot of problems with these cars, because they aren't understood well. A lot of mechanics will vote to replace them simply because the new ones will be in tune and they know it.

I would ask your mechanic what exactly is wrong with the carburetors before having them replaced. If he knows them well, he should be able to tell you without hesitation. If he says that they are just old and worn, ask him which part is causing trouble.

I had to replace one of mine, because the throttle body was warped and it wasn't allowing the piston reservoir to mount square with the bore in the throttle body. This was causing the piston to jamb before it reached the bottom of it's throw.

The prior owner who had "rebuilt" the carburetors didn't catch this problem and didn't do proper research before going through them.

I found a ceased needle, one bent needle and a few missing smaller parts along with the warped throttle body that was causing the problems he tried fixing. I don't even know how he made adjustments to the balancing screw or remember if he put the pistons back into their respective pots that they were precision machined for.

These carburetors are exceedingly simple, compared to almost any other design by any company. The truth is, they probably just need rebuilt with minor hard parts replaced, if any at all.

Each carburetor has it's own set of problems, even in truly matched sets will have issues if they have been improperly cared for. If someone has gone through these carburetors, that alone would raise a red flag with me and I would check a few simple things first before calling them junk and getting new ones.

I have about $100 in my set, that was spent in another pair to take parts from, combined with the ones that I had-

SU%20Carbs%20intake%20and%20air%20cleaner%20after%20resto%2003.jpg

If you check a few simple things with these, you can potentially save yourself hundreds of dollars by doing some research and a little tinkering yourself. His quoted prices are about spot on with tuning and installation for a new set, but after seeing what I could do with my set for a benjamin, I highly doubt you need all new carbs.

hey old or not his info is pretty interesting and true! in my opinion it all depends on the person. me personally if i had the money to buy brand new custom sets and install them and tune i would do that instead of rebuilding them myself.

EDIT: also id pay to have them rebuilt if that would be chaper then new :)

Edited by Shade133

Hi -- I'm new to the forums. I just got a 1972 240z, and have to entirely replace the carburetors. The closest mechanic to me who knows Zs quoted me around $900 for "better than new" custom rebuilt carbs. Is that too much? -- Thanks.

it has been probaly 30 years since I worked with Max and MArk at Datsun Alley, but if Mark is still there see what he can do for you

http://datsunalley.com/