IGNORED

AutoZone Duralast parts -- any good?

FastWoman

Hi all,

Here and there, I've been buying a few major rebuilt components for my Z from AutoZone. Their Duralast parts are generally lifetime warranted, and they keep all the documentation on their computer network -- i.e. no need to come in with receipts. Prices are also quite good, and the rebuilt items appear to have been well done. This is all very attractive, except...

I replaced my alternator less than a month ago with a Duralast reman unit. It went dead a few days ago. Moreover, I haven't really driven the car much since then. I've maybe driven it every 2nd or 3rd day on short trips.

Was I just unlucky? Are Duralast parts ordinarily as good as the lifetime warranty would suggest, or are they junk? I'd appreciate feedback on this point before I commit to more Duralast parts.

Thanks!

Sarah

PS I do have a very beefy 8 ga main line from the alternator to the battery -- much larger than the stock wire. Do these alternators strain when given an improved (lower resistance) current path? Thx!

I bought a Duralast starter for my Z in 2002 and was still working fine in 2009 when I sold the car. Their stuff sometimes gets a bad rep but I think they are at the mercy of the shop, and maybe even the actual person does the rebuilding, just like anywhere else. Can't answer the PS since I've never tried that but I'll bet Dave could tell you.

8 Gauge is good for the alternator to the battery (or even to the power wire on the starter = same thing) But make sure that the ground wire on the alternator is of the same gauge (8ga) And it never hurts to upgrade your battery cables to a larger 4 gauge. I know the 240Z's typically have 6gauge cables but you'll see better power transfer on 4 gauge cables.

Duralast Parts are not really up to their "Lifetime Warrenty" that they represent. I've heard of too many people returning their Duralast Alternators, Starters and Batteries and trading up to Bosch Alternators and Starters & Interstate Batteries. Most Interstate Batteries are under-rated, as they usually last longer than their stated life (my 60 month battery lasted beautifully for 9 years before having to replace it. And it was in 3 different Daily drivers)

I prefer Schucks/Kragen/Checker Auto parts for most parts. I have a Schucks, an Auto Zone and a NAPA all within a 2 block radious of each other, so location and convenience is not a factor when choosing where to go.

You probably just got a bad alternator. Take it in and have them check it and replace it. If you have the problem again within a year, get your money back and get a Bosch Unit. Just remember to ALWAYS replace your Voltage regulator any time your alternator goes out. Everytime.

FWIW,

Dave

Thanks, guys! :-)

Dave, is that the way you can get out of a lifetime warranty situation on a substandard part -- getting your money back?

The alternator isn't really that hard an R&R job, but I would have concerns about reliability. I'd really hate to have the alternator go out on me in the middle of nowhere.

Interesting that you replace the regulator everytime with the alternator. Why is that? Can a faulty regulator kill an alternator? Anyway, I do replace the two together, as I have the internally regulated '78 model. ;) That said, I kinda miss the external regulator that my '75 had. It's was only the internal regulator at fault on my last '78 alternator. Everything else was strong. Seemed a pity to replace the whole thing.

You probably just got a bad alternator. Take it in and have them check it and replace it. If you have the problem again within a year, get your money back and get a Bosch Unit. Just remember to ALWAYS replace your Voltage regulator any time your alternator goes out. Everytime.

FWIW,

Dave

Dave.....Why do you have to replace the VR everytime you replace the alternator? I didn't do it last time and blew out the VR, but didn't know why.

On 240Z's, the alternator, when it goes bad, can ruin the VR. And a bad VR can ruin a good alternator. Obviously not the case for your Internally regulated alternator.

Your question of "is that the way you can get out of a lifetime warranty situation on a substandard part -- getting your money back?" almost sounds offensive but you can't always here the "Tone" when reading a sentence. Anyways, If I buy an alternator with a "Lifetime Warranty" on it and it goes out a seconed time, I Better get my money back. Lifetime warranty should basically mean that I can instal it and forget it. If I have to do it twice, I better be reimbursed for my time and trouble. Then I'll take that money and buy a different brand.

Dave

..........snip..........

Interesting that you replace the regulator everytime with the alternator. Why is that? Can a faulty regulator kill an alternator? Anyway, I do replace the two together, as I have the internally regulated '78 model. ;) That said, I kinda miss the external regulator that my '75 had. It's was only the internal regulator at fault on my last '78 alternator. Everything else was strong. Seemed a pity to replace the whole thing.

Mr. T-Hawk, I think she kinda pointed that out herself.

There was a time when I could get the internal regulator from someone I knew that had an auto electric shop. They weren't hard to change if you had the tools to get the alterntror apart. He closed his shop about 11 years ago and I've not found another source.

That's actually a great idea Will. 5 minutes of their time can save you an hour of your time. R&R, travel time to and from the store, etc, etc.

Tomo, I wrote in the second sentence "Obviously not the case for your Internally regulated alternator." So I Obviously read her post. Did you? Thanks for your input though.

Dave

Dave, you read my tone entirely wrongly! (Sorry you read it that way!) I was just asking whether they'd be willing to let me out of the endless replacement cycle with a refund of my money -- perhaps credited towards an upgrade to a more expensive alternator. It sounds like you've successfully done that.

BTW, they actually did insist on testing the alternator before I left the store with it. I think it was so I couldn't get away with destroying it during the installation and then claiming it was no good out of the box. It sure didn't last very long, though. It ran beautifully until... nothin'.

Thanks again, guys! :)

Peace,

Sarah