Early 240Z Ashtray repair - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Early 240Z Ashtray repair

Featured Replies

I have a 1971 ashtray in need of repair. The plastic shoulder that the left hinge pin is screwed into has broken and been lost along with the hinge pin. Does anyone have a hinge pin for sale or know where to get one? Secondly, has anyone had luck rebuilding lost or broken plastic parts? The ashtray is in presentable shape otherwise...

Edited by kunzma

Moved to 240Z forum from 240K forum.

Hate to give you the bad news, but your description sounds fatal. I might have a pin but if the plastic flange is broken off - say goodnight. This particular plastic is very hard to mend, much less fill or rebuild. Superglue works, sort-of. Try 'Plas-T-Pair". Good luck.

I think many of us have been saving these, so we can make one good one out of the best pieces. The main component is broken according to your description, so I would suggest taking it apart and post a pic of the parts you have that are still good. I have just put the pieces from several together for my car and have a pretty nice cover that has been cannabalized left over as a spare. Maybe we can work something out to save another one. Put up a pic.

  • Author
post-18750-14150808607299_thumb.jpgHaving looked at geezer's picture of his ashtray I came to the realization that mine has been redone at some point. Thanks for the help but this one may be beyond doing much worth while.
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Do you have the ash tray lid & spring? If not, and because this is not exactly a priority item, do like I did; just wait until enough parts to make up one good assembly falls into your lap. There are so many of these cars that have been or will be parted out, that there seems to be an abundance of '70, early '71 "series 1" parts. Because an assembly such as this could be less than perfect or have damaged parts like yours, people don't even try to sell them, but they don't throw them away either. Try putting a "WANTED" ad in the classifieds on this site. You have nothing to lose.

  • Author

I'll post on the wanted section. Thanks

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.