First Drive! - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

First Drive!

Featured Replies

It's been 18 months since I got hergan tearing her down. Today she rolled out of the driveway for a "real" drive, not just a few blocks.

With my wife in the passenger seat, we drove for 45 minutes on the closest windy road. Went up Highway 92 to Skyline, (highway 84), which is very curvy with multiple small elevation changes.

The car drove great and handled like she was on rails. It was a great drive for breaking-in the engine. Lots of speed and rpm changes with a significant amount of engine breaking. Never pushed it hard, but did make an effort to load the engine in short bursts where possible.

Also did a few hard stops to "bed" the brakes. Found I have a "squeak" in the driver's seat I need to eliminate, as well as a few small rattles, but other than that the interior seems pretty tight.

She won't br truely complete for another 6 to 8 weeks, but she's driving! Will post pics as soon as I get the sterring wheel refinished and the HVAC controls installed.

X-mas came early!

i'll be putting mine in storage soon. :(

Great news - and very trusting of your wife to get so far away from home on the first trial run. Good to have someone to share the experience with;-)

Current pictures?

Carl B.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Maybe you need another one for the lady? ;)

I'm sure everyone would appreciate pictures, how-tos (your notes) and any other suff you learned while rebuilding.

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

Congrats Julio! Skyline is a fabulous drive. I can't wait to the get the Z up there. Hopefully I won't cartwheel it like I did my to my bike up there. :)

92 to 35 to 84? Did you stop at Alices? I've eaten there while on the motorcycle a few times. I'd be curious to see how my car over there. Bet you had a fantastic time and the weather was perfect for it!

Be careful how aggressive you get while the pads are wearing in. When I was still working at the shop during college I saw cars come back with the friction material cracked/fractured because they decided to slam on the brakes to break them in. Well, they broke them all right :stupid:

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.