IGNORED

240Z Auction - Barrett Jackson

jtmader

I'm going to jump on the $15k wagon, great car but don't see 20's coming.

Here is my latest history with my Z's. Everyone keeps talking about the "Economy", and while I agree it's been down the last few years most people buying these cars have the extra cash to acquire what they want.

April 2007 Sold a 1973 240Z in refurbished condition almost identical to the BJ car coming up...........$11,900

July 2009 Sold a 1971 240Z in 3- condition, most of you saw it on Ebay. It needed floors and a few other spots corrected..........$6,600

October 2008 bought 1970 240Z #797 and is still undergoing complete restoration. Should be done this November (I hope) but will have many $$$$ invested and would never let it go for less than 25k.

Did I sell my Z's too cheap? I don't think so. I made a little money on both cars, which of course has now been absorbed into 797.

On a side note, what Ferrari are you looking at getting rdefabri ?

post-13312-14150808421256_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150808421569_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150808421892_thumb.jpg

Mally,

I really wanted a 328, but they jumped a bit. I could probably get a ratty one in my range, and with a little TLC, make it nice. But I've honed my sights on the 76-79 carbed 308 models. Not unlike the 240Z, they are lighter, easier to work on, and more "pure" than the later Ferrari 3x8 cars.

Best of all, they are relatively cheap. They are tons of fun - really great sports cars. They aren't the quickest, but man can they handle and make all the right noises...look great too. I am pretty excited about acquiring one - it's the culmination of 20+ years of really wanting to get an F-Car.

I'd love to keep the 240Z, but I also own a '66 Jaguar E-Type, so something has to go (to make room and help fund my new purchase).

Good luck on your Ferrari quest, like you I had the same dream. Last May I acquired a 1985 308 GTS, I love the carb cars but really wanted a FI this time around. This is my first F-car and let me tell you it is a JOY to drive..........Why they even came with radio's is a mystery because the sound is unreal.

It is a true piece of art just to look at, and the handling is so balanced. I love my 240Z, but this 308 is wonderful.

Ciao.....

post-13312-14150808424674_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150808425061_thumb.jpg

That's a beauty! I like the QVs, and almost nabbed one, but they still command a premium to the carbed cars, although they benefit from the additional years of improvement. Personally, I'd take any 308 other than the GTSi/GTBi, and even those can be switched to carbs to make them "wake up".

Definitely sound AWESOME! Most of the cars I've looked at have either a Stebro or Tubi exhaust, which is a must on these.

My apologies for the thread jack - I also love my 240Z, but a few drives in the 308 made me realize how special those cars are...I have to have one. I am close!

I had a ride in a red '63 250 Lusso when I was 5....you don't forget going 90 around a turnpike in 2nd gear with that Columbo V12 screaming! The owner also had a ble '63 250LM. Unfortunately he sold them both in the late 80's when prices were sky high and bought a '35 Alfa with a rumble seat. I'd rather have the Ferraris myself, but the Alfa is still pretty cool.

Good luck on your Ferrari purchase!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

The reason the value of our cars does not rise like say, a hemi 'Cuda, is that nobody wants one. Lots of people think the Z is cool and "knows someone who had one of those" but they didn't want one back in the day and neither did very many other people in relation to all the muscle car offerings from the Big 3. Everybody wanted a Roadrunner, Mustang, 454 Chevelle SS or the dozens of other cars with dozens of different engines, transmissions, trim packages to chose from. The '67 Camaro alone sold over 220,000 units and had 90 option items.

http://www.cartechbooks.com/cartech/contentfiles/5836.pdf

You'll see a car go through auction with a particularly rare option that came on , say, 250 of the tens of thousands of the different variations of that one car. With the Z what are the desirable option packages? There really aren't any for the most part. The Z is boring in that respect. If we (the US) had gotten the twin cam 2 liter engine in a few Zs, or a few equipped with the 5 speed then you might see those special cars command a premium and increase the interest of the base models. But alas we didn't. So don't compare the Z prices with some rare optioned car, compare the price that a more common base model commands.

So today those folks have made some money and want to relive their younger days or fulfill a dream they weren't able to when the muscle car ruled the street. Consequently we see ridiculous prices being paid for rare examples of American Iron.

Thinking that the Z should command similar prices is just not reality.

Edited by doradox