IGNORED

New Z owner in Orange, CA

sigalert

Hello All-

I've been lurking through here for the last year or so while I searched for my Z; and last week finally picked up my 1970 240 (#6276 A.I.R.).

I've wanted a 240 since I was ten, when my friend's mother let me drive hers through the cemetery in my hometown. Only now do I have a bit of time, a bit of garage and a bit of money- I am acutely aware that any 240 project will benefit by increasing the value of all three of those categories.

Some of you may have viewed this car- i first saw it in the classifieds here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3724&cat=1

It sports typical rust that looks to be into the rockers, and a bizarre spot near the gas tank; but floors, rails, battery tray are all in great shape. Will need most of the interior redone, engine gone through, and the rear diff is pretty noisy.

If I knew how to save money I could've waited for a cleaner example- but I had to have a 70', and I was getting antsy to get something in the garage. I am about a quarter mile from Motorsport, here in Orange- which I believe will come in quite handy. I've already popped in a few times to pick up some odds and ends.

My question now is whether I should loose my questionably-skilled buddy on the body welding work I need to get done, or if I should start looking at shops. Are there any Z-friendly body men in or around Orange County who I should talk to? I found a thread here from a few years back with a Maaco shop owner in Hemet (username Jackboxxx) who was a Z fella, and looked to do quality work. Like I said, I appear to be in it for new rockers and lower replacement panels, with some really easy spot welds elsewhere in the car.

So, a long-winded hello!

I'm a bit of a lurker, and I like to use the search button, so I'll be around in the shadows. This site is a great tool, and I learn 20 new things every time I poke around here.

cheers!

---

Todd

Welcome Todd and congratulations on acquiring you 70 Z. You won't regret it.

Rust and rot is the biggist downside of these cars. If you plan to keep the car a long time I would find a good shop that has had experience doing body work on Z's

Good luck with your car.