IGNORED

Fuel gunk

Pomorza

Hello all

This past monday I took my tank in to get fixed as it has a crack. Before doing any welding the place cleans the tank thoroughly to get all the crap out. (as one would figure gasoline + fire = boom). So I though cool I'll get the thing back Tuesday throw it back in my car and be done with it.

Today around noon i get a phone call from the guy that works there saying that with the amount of crud and gunk in my tank, it will take him longer to get it cleaned then expected. I agreed and told him to let me know when it was done. When I was taking the thing off the tank did seem like it was pretty filthy inside but didn't think it was that bad.

So two questions for you all.

1. If the tank or fuel system have never been cleaned (its a 1/1976 280z) would it be safe to assume that the entire system need cleaning?

2. What would you guys recommend I do? Take all the lines out and drop them in carbi cleaner or something?

Thank

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda bad not getting a reply. I'll give it a go, although I'm sure many of the 48 people who have read your thread would have a better idea than I do.

So you've got a fuel injected engine. The fuel pump keeps the fuel and crud moving around pretty well. I'm guessing that there would be very little (if any) crud in your lines, and that it would have been trapped in your fuel filter. There may also be a screen for large crud in the suction side of your fuel pump, but I don't know this. Other than that, I would think your lines would all be clean of crud (rust, sediment, etc.).

Varnish might be another matter. However, if you run a couple of tanks with Chemtool B-12 mixed in, your varnish will probably dissolve out.

Peace,

Sarah