IGNORED

NEw from Ca with Z Issue

Serj22

Hello all. I currently found a project sitting in my friend's driveway. It's a 240z I believe? I'm not up to par on what all the models are. Anyway, it's some kind of "gold edition" or something like that where it was painted gold, with a dark gold/brown top half, and has an in-line 6 (I think).

Either way, my friend wants it out of his driveway, and I want it. But, it needs to run first. Apparently up until a couple months ago, it did run, and had a new swapped motor implanted. Unfortunately someone who was a "briliant mechanic" found a way to break it. My friend states that the genius was driving down the freeway at about 90, and redlined it or something and then the whole car made a "wind" noise, that got more frequent with RPM's. All this happened right after they fixed it and got it running again (it had not been running for 5 years or so) I went through the whole "what noise is it?" deal, and to me, it sounds like he experienced a thrown rod, since it sounds like knocking. I don't know if these cars do that often, I personally have a Honda, and in the past have owned all GM vehicles.

So, I'll post pictures and what-not, and the second I get a battery in it, I think it will be able to start, since he said that it ran with the battery in it but stil made the noise and he was afraid to run it. So I'll buy a battery today, and I'll see if I can post a video of this "noise" and I would like to know if anyone on here could help me figure it out? Also, anyone have any idea what year it could be? or if it is the 240 or 280? There's no identifying marks of year that I can see, I think some of the body panels have been replaced before, and I know nothing about this car, nor does the owner (which is tragic)

Edited by Serj22

Welcome!

Does it look like this?

http://www2.zhome.com:81/History/10thAnniv.htm

Carl Beck's very useful site on Z cars

http://www2.zhome.com:81/

If it it lost oil pressure or your friend over-revved it at 90mph, anything can happen. Impossible to say without checking it out really.

Quick and dirty review of US spec Z cars

70-73 = 240Z [L24 inline 6 2.4L]

74 = 260Z (somewhat larger bumpers) [L26 inline 6 2.6L]

75 = 280Z and 1st year for FI (big square bumpers if stock) [L28]

79-83 = 280ZX

73-74 come stock with the undesirable "flat top" carbs, many replace/replaced with the earlier "round tops"

:beer: