IGNORED

Newbie - Wheel Inquiry '71

Jodyshow

Long time lurker, recent member, very informative site/forums, kudos for the great community. Restoring a '71, build date of November, looking for correct steel wheels to accept the original 'd' hubcaps. I have been told there was a wheel size change in '71 (wider than '69-70), and am trying to ascertain the correct size for my car (so that I can source a set). Any casting numbers on original Z wheels? If this is the incorrect forum, please let me know. I researched the wheel forum endlessly, and am blind to this data!

Thanks in advance-

Jody

Jody, in North America the original wheels for all 240Zs were painted steel with chrome and gray hubcaps. Since they were steel, there were no "casting" numbers, but the size and other data (including the production date) were stamped into the face of the wheel.

The width change was in '72, not '71, so your '71 would have come from the factory with the original 14x4.5" wheels and the early style hubcaps. From '72 through '78 the steel wheels were 14x5", and there was finally an alloy factory option (14x5.5") added in '77.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12494&d=1148696772

attachment.php?attachmentid=12497&d=1148696800

attachment.php?attachmentid=12499&d=1148697028

Thank you for the informative info, Arne. I have the same set of D caps, looking for a set of the original steelies....any suggestions on sources?! Great pics for reference, thanks again. Michael - I am in Beaver County, when she is finally finished, we should get together, nice ride! I'll post some pics of the resto one of these days, she is receiving a final wet sand before the buff as we speak.....after 2+ years, I am excited to spend the fall and winter undertaking final assembly. I must admit a recent addiction to Porsches(to my wifes chagrin), but long for the mechanical feel and crisp snap of that 240 gearbox.....:):)

Jody, the difficulty in finding a set will depend on how particular you want to be. If you want a full matched set with appropriate date codes (generally you'd want the same month as your car was built, or perhaps one month earlier), you'll want to start posting at the various Z websites now, and start crossing your fingers.

If the date code is not important but having the original 4 1/2" width is, that will be a little easier, as any rim up through 8/71 build date will work. Those narrow rims do limit tire selection severely, as you shouldn't go wider than 185 cross section on them. So the only modern sizes that are close to correct are 185/75-14 and 185/70-14. There are still one or two choices in the original 175-14 size too, but they're hard to track down.

If date code doesn't matter, another option would be to use the 14x5 wheels from a '72-78 Z. They look identical, your hubcaps will fit them perfectly, and they allow a bit wider tire, 195/70-14 fit fine. I seem to recall reading that the Vintage Z Program cars all got 14x5 wheels with 195/70-14 tires, even the '70-71 cars. Don't know that for sure though.

Similarly, some of the 280ZXs came with steel wheels, theirs were 14x5.5. Like the 5" wheels, these still look the same other than the width, and your hubcaps will fit just fine.