IGNORED

New to forum - Looking for s30 Fairlady parts

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, and the information I've read through so far has been very insightful. I'm currently working on two cars - 72 240z 2.8l Stroker, and RHD 70 Nissan Fairlady Z - just picked up from Roger Allen in TX. I'm diverting most of my time and efforts now to the Fairlady Z, since I'm planning to give my father the 72 stroker project. I'm now looking for Fairlady parts to help complete my project. That said, have any of you seen these parts floating around recently for sale/trade:

- Fairlady mesh front grill

- Triple Mikuni's with intake

- Watanabe Wheels 15's-16's preferably

The Z didn't come with a motor unfortunately, but I lucked out and found someone in Santa Clara who was selling a crate motor L20a - the original motor, as you may know, that came in the JDM 70' fairlady. It's never been installed, and appears to be brand-spanking new - well, minus the dust. It has sat around for 15+ years, according to the seller. It'll need to be taken apart for inspection and gasket replacement, but just thrilled to start with a zero-miles original motor.

I'm taking photos this weekend to add to this thread later and plan to post YouTube clips through the stages of my restoration attempt. Anyhow, glad to be part of this forum now, and look forward to providing updates as I continue with this project.

Cheers!

Mike V :beer:

Hi Mike,

I have a 1970 Fairlady Z too ( originally a 'Z-L' model in 901 Monte Carlo Silver ) which I'm slowly turning into a 432R replica.

Watch out for that crate L20A engine, as it may very well have been made for a model other than the Fairlady Z. You should be able to tell straight away by the oil dipstick location and sump orientation. Luckily you can 'convert' it to use in the Fairlady quite easily should it turn out to have been made for a sedan.

If I can help you in any way ( parts, data, or even just encouragement ) please don't hesitate to get in touch via PM. I'll do my best to assist if I can.

Good luck!

Alan T.

Mike, i do have a Fairlady grill, but i'm not sure i want to part with it, they do show up on ebay from time to time, just keep an eye open, if i decide to let my grill go, you will be the first to know.

Chris

Chris - Thanks, and do let me know if you eventually decide to sell the grill.

Alan - Much thanks for the info. Where is the oil dipstick supposed to be located on the L20a Z? Also, I've read some of your past threads and they're hugely helpful (i.e alignment measure of the fairlady mirrors, etc.) I look forward to sending you my inquiries as they come up. Thanks again!

Mike V

I took the engine out of its crate and mounted on stand. It's a little dirty since it' been in the crate for many years - unknown to the previous owner, who picked it up originally from an Oregon auction back in the 90's and kept it stored. The dipstick is located in front of the oil filter and the oil pan sump is also in the front, unlike standard L24s. The head is E30. I'll post pictures of the Z shell and chassis tomorrow so you see the rust I have to deal with...mainly floor pans and outer rear fenders - looks to be quite a transplant, but all worth it in the end. Also found my triple mikunis today from a zed owner down in So. California...looking forward to picking those up. Now just need the grill and some nice wheels.

Mike V

:beer:

post-19862-14150808200608_thumb.jpg

post-19862-14150808201439_thumb.jpg

post-19862-14150808202239_thumb.jpg

post-19862-1415080820286_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Yes, the dipstick location and sump orientation identify it as what we could call a 'sedan' ( Cedric, Laurel, Skyline etc etc ) version L20A rather than a Z version L20A. Not so difficult to convert ( re-drill the dipstick tube location, change the oil pump pick-up / strainer - not forgetting to plug the original drilling - and swap to a Z-type sump ) but you might like to investigate the spec of the engine a little more closely in case it is a low compression version......

It looks to me as though it is a remanufactured / reconditioned unit rather than a brand spanking new Factory crated item. The block colour would seem to support that. Lets see what you find when you take it apart. You always have the option of modifying it for a little extra pep ( valves, cam, slight head skim, little pit of port work etc ) to suit the Mikunis and the ex. manifold. The L20A can be a nice sporty little powerplant when matched up with the right gearbox and diff.

If you PM me with your postal address I'll send you a parts list CD, which you might find useful.

Cheers,

Alan T.

And by the way, this thread is located in the MEMBERS ONLY section of the forum - so nobody can see it unless they are a member, and 'signed in'.

I'd like to see this interesting project getting a little more forum exposure, so maybe you'd like to start another thread in a different section of the forum that you can add progress updates to, and which everyone can readily see?

Don't hide your light under a bushel. Up with Fairlady Zs!

:classic:

Hi Mike - I can put you in touch with someone who is planning to part out his 1970 Fairlady Z in the near future. If you are interested send me a PM. It should prove to be an interesting project and I will look forward to hearing more about it. I have a few Fairlady Z parts but never considered selling any. I have a NOS FairladyZ grill you can see a pic of on pg 10 of my gallery pics. It is PN 62300-N3000 and has different mounting points than the 1970 version which is PN 62300-E4101. Depending on how correct you are planning to be with your build will determine if you would want to adapt the later version or not.