Sign in to follow this  
mattbibbey

Genuine Barn Find! Help/Advice required.

Hello all,

You remember me, I'm the guy who was about to buy a lovely 240Z and then they sold it to someone else! Threaders!! Anyway, I made this find and am bringing her home next week. She's been sitting there with many rats for company for the last 23 years so I'm going to need some direction and tips ( hopefully someone selling spares too LOL) from anyone who has the time. Really appretiate any help recieved.

Cheers all

Matt

post-18620-14150807932579_thumb.jpg

post-18620-14150807933302_thumb.jpg

post-18620-14150807933723_thumb.jpg

From the few pics it looks fairly complete and straight. Rust is always the big issue. There have been plenty of threads here regarding resurrecting cars that have been idle for years so you'd do well to read those for tips on safely getting it running again.

MikeW, thanks for your help. As soon as I know enough about the car i'll add to your registry! jr260z, I don't think it is but at this stage I wouldn't like to say either way haha. Thanks for your responses so far!

You will get to know her pretty well as you clean off that 23 years worth of dust. She has been neglected too long. Good thing you came to the rescue! Very nice find!

Mike, It's a great find no matter what, I just noticed your in Britain, so of course the steering wheel is on the right side. We're not used to seeing that too much here in the States. Good luck with your project, and keep the board informed of your progress.

Congratulations! from the pics I can this that this lady stands a good chance of you resurecting it!!! just keep us posted and keep the pictures coming.

Matt-

Great barn find! Congratulation!! There is a great book out there called "Cobra in the Barn"....it's a great read about barn finds, but I'm sure you're not going to be having much time for casual reading.

Once you get that cleaned up be sure to get some pictures posted, we are all excited to see how she looks!! Take your time getting her up and running and be sure to do it the right way. Be ready for a great experience!!........oh yea, don't worry about a budget, just go for it!;)

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is that Z an RHD Fairlady?

It's a 240z. They did make them with the steering wheel on the right side ;)

He's in the UK if you didn't notice.

Edited by Mr Camouflage
speeling

Mike, It's a great find no matter what, I just noticed your in Britain, so of course the steering wheel is on the right side. We're not used to seeing that too much here in the States. Good luck with your project, and keep the board informed of your progress.

Ah, so you did notice:)

anyone help me finding one of these? I'm in the UK so bear that in mind. I'm pointing at the bit i mean. Crude i know but hopefully effective.

post-18620-14150807939993_thumb.jpg

Matt,

There are several people in the UK that can help you to source and fit that kind of front spoiler. Fourways Engineering of Borough Green, Kent are one that I recommend......

But the front spoiler is going to be needed only after you have recommissioned the car to proper working order after its long slumber. I'm afraid it is inevitable that you are going to have to work hard on the fuel and hydraulic systems of the car ( you might even need to remove the fuel tank to remove any sludge in it, and the fuel lines could easily be full of rust ) and many other parts and systems will need overhaul and fettling after such a long layup.

If you think I can help with data or parts ( I might have what you need, or know somebody else that does ) then please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Liking the factory green, by the way.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Matt,

Great to see you on here. Matt and I just became friends on flickr prior to this. Small world!!!!

I am RVAE34 on flickr in case you didn't know by my sig :)

Alan,

Thankyou very much, your offer of advice is very generous! I'm sure I'll get it home and burst into tears or something but I reckon I'm up to the challenge, I have a dedicated and loyal friend base too!! LOL!

Five&dime,

It is an exceptionally small world!! Imagine the chances of finding my project twice in as many days! haha.

Matt

Matt that's a nice color don't change it and you will have a special car. Not many in that color green.

Too funny. I don't remember who found who or how. All I know is I saw the picture of that Z entitled what to do with it? I think that was the day you bought it. My reply.... "sell it to me" :)

Put me down also as a fan of Green :) . If your interior's Black you can accent those colors with the Red's of a Rally Clock! Unless you prefer all Black ^_^ . ~Z~

How do i make sure that the colour is like the original when i respray it at the end of the resto? I agree, the green is nice and i don't think i've ever seen one before. Is it a common enough colour?

How do i make sure that the colour is like the original when i respray it at the end of the resto? I agree, the green is nice and i don't think i've ever seen one before. Is it a common enough colour?

Matt,

Don't fret about stuff like this. It's something that you can face much further down the line.

Any of the major auto paint suppliers in the UK will be able to mix the exact shade from the data that they hold. All you need to do is identify the exact shade of green and its corresponding paint code number in the Nissan / Datsun paint chip cards, and they will be able to identify the formula that is its equivalent.

Is the paint code sticker still present on the top of the radiator support panel ( near the bonnet prop )? If it is, it will help you - but they are often found to be illegible or removed entirely from most of the UK cars that I have seen.

It could be #113 Green Metallic, #302 Green Metallic or #303 Green Metallic. You can even get a colour matched from a sample ( like a tool box lid ) these days. Don't worry about it. I think you'll have other things to face first, like re-commissioning the mechanicals.

What's the chassis number, and the UK reg?

For what its worth, I think - long term - this green car looks more 'honest' than that red car you didn't get. I'd rather have the green one any day......

Cheers,

Alan T.

To add to Alan's paint advice: unless a very thorough repaint was done sometime in the past it will be easy to find original paint: up under the dash, in the spare tire well, under the console, behind the door panels, etc. There's a good chance that your paint is original so that will be further reason to keep it the same color when you paint it yourself eventually.

All the pictures I took of my car in situe where it was found are on my pictures under my name where it says My Z Photos