IGNORED

Confused about original parts numbers change....

richard1

Take original shift knobs as an example.

I should think that any woodworker with a small lathe could easily turn the wood in the newer knobs down to the exact same diameter as the earlier knobs... then you'd just refinish the wood.

Yes/No???

FWIW,

Carl B.

I should think that any woodworker with a small lathe could easily turn the wood in the newer knobs down to the exact same diameter as the earlier knobs... then you'd just refinish the wood.

Yes/No???

Yes, I'm certain that could be done. That would be closer, but you'd still have the newer shift pattern disk with the sloppy looking back-paint and the wrong typeface. I decided to keep the original, even with its flaws.

I might have to chuck up one of these new knobs and see how close I can get it to the correct shape. I'll bet it would only take some sand paper. I still have the original knob as a pattern mine is no where close to as nice as Arne's.

• 3 months later...

I tried to identify all the OEM hatch weatherstripping and couldn't fill in the parts number timeline which made me wonder if richard1 could or want to use one from a 260Z.

From the '70-'73 parts catalog:

up to 7/73

weatherstrip tailgate outer - 76910-E4100

weatherstrip tailgate inner - 76912-E4100

12/79 microfiche revisions:

from 08/76

weatherstrip tailgate outer 76910-N3000 - 1pc

O/side 76911-N3000 - 2 pcs

rubber-sealing tailgate 90965-E4100

Current OEM - 76912-N4500

I haven't been able to find any part numbers to fill the gap from 7/73-08/76

richard1 - I mentioned in the other thread I came across a used hatch seal that had a tag on it (260Z). I took a pic of the profile. Would this one help you? I didn't compare it to my original which is in storage and difficult to access.

• 1 year later...

It appears there was a mix up in the factory: I have incorrect weather stripping for inner hatch seal labeled 76912 N4500 from Precision (via MSA order) and a replacement with the correct part and same label 76912 N4500.

The wrong part is actually the rear glass seal (now I have two). It is interesting because when I compare it against the one labeled correctly in the kit, the "wrong inner hatch seal" has a wider slot for the metal trim.

Edited by Blue