IGNORED

Differences in Gas Tanks?

DMC-Z

My 6/70 Z has a dented gas tank and I'm thinking of pulling it off and replacing it with a tank from a 8/72 parts care I have. I'm wondering if there are any differences between these two gas tanks.

I've searched the forums and seen several posts regarding swapping a 280Z tank into a 240Z, but I was not able to find any significant information regarding the differences between 70, 71, 72 or 73 model years. My goal is to keep the 70 as close to stock as I can, but before I make the swap, so I'm hoping there aren't significant differences between the tanks.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks in advance!

Even the 1974 gas tank will swap into your 1970 as well.

True for the early '74 but would the '74.5 fuel tank also fit? The tank changed and was increased from 60 liters to 65 liters. The filler hose, band, pipe and hose were all changed for the '74.5 model.

According to the parts book, 17201-E4100 and E4600 fuel tanks are good up until 7/73. On 8/73, 17201-N3400 applied to models fitted with the L26 engine and supersedes the earlier tank. The difference between the E4100 and E4600 tanks is the accomodation for evaporative emission equipment. The original HLS30-U and UN models did not have evaporative emission equipment while the HLS30-UV did.