IGNORED

Hello to everyone!

I am new to this club and to the whole online social thing. I am looking forward to talking to people here because I have recently purchased several cars in need of restoration. They are good buildable cars but will take a lot of work, I have restored cars & trucks in the past & then got out of it. I am learning a lot about parts sources now & look forward to all of your help that I can get here. Thanks, Mike

Well, Mike, tell us more. What cars to you have and want to restore? Do you have any urgent issues? Can you provide photos of your projects?

There's a wealth of knowledge here, all you need to do is spread the questions...

Frank

Mike,

Welcome to the club.

Don't forget the search function-it can answer most questions as soon as you submit your querry, but don't hesitate to post questions either!

Post pictures of your cars and fill out your profile so we have some frame of refereence for answering your questions-and to satisfy(or spark) our curiosity!

Will

Hi , I didn't expect a reply so quickly, but I do have a question that I have yet to find a good answer for. I have several places on my 73 that are rust pitted but not rusted through, they are too deep to sand out but I don't want to just fill them with bondo or spot filler and have them come back to haunt me later any ideas?

The red '73 in my gallery was my car, but not the car in my avitar. The one is my avitar will be far nicer, and is almost finished, after many delays!

Currently it is on hold while I supervise the actual Restoration of another members car.

For the pits you can sand/media blast, and /or acid treat-even if you media blast, I would always acid wash afterward.

For small pitted areas, I used a squirt bottle filled with metal ready or Ospho (Phosoric acid with Zinc) scraps of paper towel, and a wire brush.

tear a piece of paper towel large enough to just cover the rusty area, saturate it with the acid wash, and apply it to the rusted area. go around the car and treat all of them that way, and use the spray bottle to keep them wet. when the paper town starts looking nasty, throw it away, give the spot a squirt, heit it with the wire brush, give it somemore squirts to wash away what you brushed lose, and re-aply a paper towel. When the paper towels no longer get nasty, the majority of the rust will be gone, but check the pits, all of the metal area should be a uniform color of gray-any black you see is stubborn rust-work on it with a pick, and keep it wet. when the whole area is uniform gray bordering on "Blued" looking, you have removed all of the rust, spray it again, and if you let the acid wash dry, you will have a zinc phosphate coating to prevent flash rust!

Take everything in bite sized chunks and work will flow, progress will be made, and the car will get done!

Thanks for the kind words.

Will