IGNORED

New Member 1971 240Z

I was also wondering if these mag wheels are original or not. I will attach another reply with more pics.

No, the wheels are not original. All 240Zs exported to the US came with cheap steel wheels and hubcaps. Most of them were thrown away and replaced with "mag" wheels like what you have. So many originals were thrown away that they're now quite valuable. Your wheels may have even been installed at the dealer.

Overall the body looks very good. Hopefully being in storage 20 years preserved the body well. If you haven't already I'd get some pictures of the underside floorpans and frame rails and under the battery. Also some shots around the wheel arches and rocker panels.

Some other quick observations of non-original or missing stuff:

The "towel" bar on the rear bumper is aftermarket.

Missing hood ornament

Missing right front turn signal assembly and lens

Aftermarket AC is disconnected

Missing right side Datsun emblem

Not original seat covers

Missing radio

Not original shift knob

Air cleaner from later model

Very strange fan

None of these things are a big deal so consider yourself lucky.

Yes, the evaporator is in the box under the dash. I don't see the compressor, however. Just the hoses and carbon canister and aftermarket control box attached to the console. There were two different standard locations for aftermarket compressors. One was on a bracket near the mechanical fuel pump and another was on the lower left side near (or replacing) the factory air pump (which you still seem to have unless that is a compressor). The air pump was emissions equipment.

Before starup reach in the carb mouths and lift the pistons and make sure they rise and fall without resistance. In the dampers on top of the carbs remove those plastic caps and soak up any oil that may be left down in the dampers. Replace with ATF to the top of the inner tube and replace the damper rods. Check rise and fall again.

The inner damper tube can be seen better by lifting the carb piston.

We sell an information loaded SU DVD when you start going after those carbs......

Bruce

I have been looking at ZTherapy's website thinking it might be best pull the carbs off and send to you for reconditioning. What work is typically recommended that ZTherapy does in a case like mine. With all the other home project going, my wife would rather I spend the money and leave the "Z" work to the experts.

Joe,

I'm gonna hate myself in the morning but here goe......

1) You can buy our Reman Service and know that everything is returned to square one aand will be to your liking as long as you're going to care....

2) As those bad boys have been sitting for over half their lives I'm guessing they aren't nearly worn out enough to require a "complete" and would probably function well enough with a little de-funking..... We can't afford to do the de-funking as it isn't cost effective to put the time into that vs building a set of carbs.

Here's my suggestion: Buy the JUST SUs DVD, 2 float bowl gaskets, gaskets to the manifold, 2 gas lines (depending on how pliable your are) and a few cans of carb cleaner.

Borrow a couple of your wife's best bath towels and spread them out on the dining room table and have at cleaning them up. (kidding of course) The float bowls need to be cleaned out as do the needles and seats in the float bowl lid. The pistons and domes need to be cleaned inside but beyond that there isn't much more I'd suggest that a low miler set of carbs might require to get up and running. Just a good cleaning of residues left behind from sitting would be the goal....

So it's either spend the money for a complete or go the budget route and be pretty safe in the positive results of a cleanup.

You know, now that I think about it, you can do all this with the carbs on the car.

Joe: I agree with Bruce, I am going though the same thing you are, I got my car two years ago and I am barely getting started; however fortunately I have been around Datsuns all my life, so I know that these cars are very forgiving and user friendly. Taking all appart came to my mind for a few days, but then it became an overwhelming thought, so now I am going one step backward, and decided not to take anything appart until I am able to take the car for a spin around the block. Keep in mind my car had not been used for at least ten years, before I got it, and when I finally cranked it, the engine came to life with out hesitation, and even my carbs seem to be doing their job so far...hope this helps.