IGNORED

New Member 1971 240Z

I purchased a 1971 240Z 2 years ago and just getting started on it. It was garaged for 20 years in California. Speedo says 59K but I think it is 159K. It is all original in good shape but hasn't been started in 20 yrs. Owner said it was smoking when he stored it. Took the valve cover off and it has 2 stuck valve. Always thought I would have to rebuild motor. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciate. Looking forward to checking our your forums

Welcome aboard. The first thing to do is take a bunch of pictures and upload them here. You will quickly get a lot of expert eyes inspecting things for you. The engine is easy to deal with compared to any rust issues. Hopefully being in a garage for so long helped preserve it. Where you go from here largely depends on what you want from the car. Do you just want to get it running well enough to drive it around or do you want to do a full restoration and enter it in car shows? Chances are you're somewhere in between.

I pulled my '71 out of 15 years of storage a couple years ago. I replaced the tires, all fluids, all belts and hoses, clutch cylinder, rear brake cylinders, and front brake calipers. Two years later, and a few more bits & pieces, and I'm still motoring along. Welcome to the Group. The 1971 Z is a great car. I'm sure you'll have fun with your Z.

Dennis

welcome and congrats on you car! I believe that these cars were made to last, case in point, my 260 was stored for the last 12 years, the odometer reads 58k, but I think is about 158k total miles. after just changing the oil and plugs, the car started right up, at first it smoked for a few days, but now the smoke is gone, maybe you should just rebuild the head for now and then estimate the extent on the wear on the whole engine.

If and when you get it running and it smokes for a prolonged period, fun some crud cleaner through it as we have seen L-series oil rings stick from sitting for extended periods and yours would qualify for that.

Also keep an eye on the head gasket as you are driving it as we feel they can rot from sitting as well.

Thanks for the advise. One of the valves popped up overnight. We turned the crank again and two of the valve that were up stayed down. I am going to check tonight to see if they came up. Should I put some crud cleaner directly down the springs and valve stems?

I am going to download some pictures tonight.

Thanks

I'm really surprised that no one is suggesting tear down of the engine before proceeding.

I'd hate to guess how little you have going on in the way of lubrication propertied in any of the bearings at this stage. Wipeing out the bearings will surely entail a tear down soon after getting it running.

What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

Least worse case would be to get new oil in the engine and spin the oil pump with a drill motor to get oil pumped to all the bearings before going too much further.

Those sticking valves? No clue what to suggest. Hand turn, tap valve stem with block of wood to jar them back into position? Don't know.....

Anyway, You have your hands full here. Good luck.

Should I put some crud cleaner directly down the springs and valve stems

"Cleaner" - - NO

I'd run some ATF down the valve stems, from the top of the head. Let it soak though - then turn the engine over by hand. I also put some ATF and/or Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders and let it soak through for a day - turn the engine by hand and repeat.

Once everything seems free - Drain the oil pan, change the filter and refill with fresh 20 wt oil, pour oil over the cam and rocker faces.. Then if the fuel system has been cleaned, at least from the fuel pump though the carb.'s - you can use an external fuel source to see if the engine will crank and start.

I say external fuel source - because you do not want to suck the varnish and crud out of the fuel tank and fuel lines - make sure you drop the fuel tank and clean it and the lines out before you hook them back up to the engine.

Take your time - work the engine turn over by hand until everything feels like it is turning freely.

FWIW,

Carl B.

THank you for the advise.

I am basically following the plan Carl laid out. Gas tank and fuel lines are cleaned out. I will initially fire up from external fuel source.

I am attaching some pics of the car & motor. I would appreciate any insight on what I have. I was also wondering if these mag wheels are original or not. I will attach another reply with more pics.

Thanks again,

Joe

post-19533-14150807501111_thumb.jpg

post-19533-14150807501815_thumb.jpg

post-19533-14150807502413_thumb.jpg

post-19533-14150807503023_thumb.jpg

post-19533-14150807503626_thumb.jpg

If you use Carl's method and get it running be prepared to get in an oil change or two in relatively short order as you'll more than likely be kicking loose ancient accumulations of stuff that can plug things up in the pan and passages.

Hope you don't wipe out the bearings in the bottom end..... To minimize damage when you start turning it over with the starter, pull the plugs to take the strain off the bottom end til you get oil pressure built up......