IGNORED

Refurbishing the Center Console

psdenno

it's an old thread but i want to refresh my center console as well. how do i actually remove it? i removed the three screws from the rear, the four holding the center dash, the one holding the cigarette plug and i still cant pull the console out.

i have a '70 Z

Under the ash tray, you will find that there are a couple of screws holding the fuse panel. You will need to remove these and, either, unplug and remove the fuse panel, or try to work the console out and around the fuse panel and its mounting bracket attached to the console. Make sure you disconnect the battery before removing the fuse panel as it would be easy to touch it to surrounding structures and short it out. I found it easiest to just remove the fuse panel making sure to tag all connections for correct reinstallation. You will also find that the choke wires are possibly retained to the console by a couple of metal clips attached to the underside of the console. I found it easiest to disconnect the choke cables from the carbs and withdraw the cables through the fire wall grommet during removal of the console. When removing the console, put the car in 4th and work the console out by lifting the rear and working it out aft and over the shift lever. I have found that sometimes the more labor intensive method is the best as it creates less risk of damage.

Take your time, and good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I attempted to fill some minor cracks with a standard 2 part epoxy and it ended up drying with an incredibly smooth sheen. I also tried to keep it from smoothing out the texture, but it did. Any advice on rectifying the gloss aftermath? I've played with some primer and and paint, I might have to try and sand the whole thing down smooth and use a textured paint. Unless someone has advice. I picked up my sharpies yesterday!

I attempted to fill some minor cracks with a standard 2 part epoxy and it ended up drying with an incredibly smooth sheen. I also tried to keep it from smoothing out the texture, but it did. Any advice on rectifying the gloss aftermath? I've played with some primer and and paint, I might have to try and sand the whole thing down smooth and use a textured paint. Unless someone has advice. I picked up my sharpies yesterday!

When I filled imperfections from the top side with epoxy putty, I pressed the putty into the cracks and holes and then brushed it down, before it dried, with an old toothbrush to remove any excess outside the imperfections. Brushing made a cleaner less noticeable patch and roughed the putty so there was no sheen.

Dennis

I read your post before attempting it, and thoroughly scrubbed the epoxy with a a toothbrush, but it kept 'healing'. I think the product I used probably wasn't suitable. Do you think sanding down and texturing may be the only fix>?

It's probably going to be difficult to remove your patch by sanding without messing up the original texture on the console. Have you tried using a dental pick tool to dislodge the filler?

Dennis

Awhile back, I recall an owner that fixed some cracks with J-B Weld , he used Silly Putty (that had been pressed onto a good textured area and then cooled in the fridge) as a texture stamp before the epoxy dried. SEM Texture spray and Duplicolor truck bed liner have been used by others with success- spot repair may be problematic at this point.