IGNORED

Towing

You must remove the driveshaft to do so. Otherwise the output shaft of the transmission will turn but no gears will turn to splash oil around to keep it lubricated. You could always tow backwards with the front end on the road.

Steve

Edited by doradox
backwards

Can't you just get a trailer that gets all 4 wheels off the ground? I rented one from u-haul 5 years ago or so, and it wasn't that expensive.

Towing it around on a dolly is car abuse in my book.

You could back up onto it like mentioned above. If you don't have one already, I'd invest in a rock guard on the back of your motorhome. I don't think you would want to take the chance of a rock flying out and hitting your Z :hurt:

Edited by DatsunZsRule

You must remove the driveshaft to do so.
Can't pull the driveshaft on a Z, either auto or manual. All the oil will run out.

The only exception is for S30s with the early Type A 5 speed (FS5C71A) as those have a rear output flange that the driveshaft bolts to. All others use a sliding spline at the front of the driveshaft.

Can't pull the driveshaft on a Z, either auto or manual. All the oil will run out.

The only exception is for S30s with the early Type A 5 speed (FS5C71A) as those have a rear output flange that the driveshaft bolts to. All others use a sliding spline at the front of the driveshaft.

Obviously, but why would it matter. You won't be driving the car. You can refill the trans later or, leave the shaft in the trans but disconnect it from the differential. Or what many people do is plug the transmission. The important point is, if you don't keep the trans output shaft from turning you will burn it up.

Steve

Either drain the tranny or make a plug from an old driveshaft yoke. The driveshaft must be removed, but otherwise it will tow fine. I towed my car 750 miles when I drug it home from Georgia in 1990.

Do not put the car backwards on a dolly. The steering column must remain unlocked so the car can steer around tight turns. If not, it drags and binds.