IGNORED

Dashboard Preservation?

motorman7

I did call Pete at Dashboard Restorations. He mentioned (as DMC-Z noted earlier) that his preference is the Leather conditioner. He also mentioned that they are testing other products as well. I am planning on using the leather conditioner in preparation for the show in Irvine this weekend. I tried a some on the right edge of the the dashboard ( with the door open) and it applies well and looks good. I will finish the job tomorrow. In addition, as always, will keep the car garaged to help reduce the UV exposure and reduce temperature swings (like we really have weather here in San Diego).

Will also post more pics of the car later tomorrow. Today was engine and undercarriage day. Tomorrow is wash wax and polish.

Rich

Lexol, arguably the industry leader in leather care, makes a product called Vinylex. It is for vinyl, plastic and rubber. I bought a bottle a while back, but have yet to use it. Friends say it works great, but only time will tell with products like this.

Check out: http://www.vinylexprotectant.com/

I have used Armorall ever since it came on the market, with no problems other than the effect being rather short-lived. Seems that once you start using it regularly, you had better keep using it, because cracks will appear in fairly short order once you stop.

Mitchell

I too have heard many rumors about armor-all and that switching products will cause the dash to crack. When I bought my z, it had no cracks or flaws in the dash. However, there are now two small holes(about the size of the tip of a screwdriver) and one small line(not really a crack) in it. We did have the dash out when we restored the car, and I also was advised to stop using armor-all and switch to this product http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-101-adams-vrt-vinyl-rubber-tire-dressing.aspx. Someone once told me that the dash gets "addicted" to the silicone and if you switch to no silicone it will crack. I would like to know if any one else has seen this. I really don't know if the holes are from removing the dash or if they are a result of no more silicone.

My dash is uncracked but dry.

I've recently tried Meguiar's PlastX with no real success. Dash is still dry and grey-ish.

I'm going to follow the thread to see what kind of solution we might have.

So far, I'm just protecting the dash with the car parked in the garage and with a sun shade when parked outside.

Pete from Dashboard Restorations forwarded me a few photos of a restored 240Z dash. The cost is $850. Looks great, although the color or texture doesn't seems exact. Has anyone gone through the process with these guys before? Any personal perspectives worth sharing?

post-14351-14150806913892_thumb.jpg

post-14351-14150806914591_thumb.jpg

post-14351-14150806915341_thumb.jpg

post-14351-14150806915926_thumb.jpg

Pete from Dashboard Restorations forwarded me a few photos of a restored 240Z dash. The cost is $850. Looks great, although the color or texture doesn't seems exact. Has anyone gone through the process with these guys before? Any personal perspectives worth sharing?

Take a look at this thread. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34058

I use Pledge furniture polish on my dash and panels. It also works great on chrome or polished aluminum. Outside of that, try to minimize excessive temperature swings and sunlight. Use a good windscreen sunblock panel and/or car cover when parked outside.

Lexol, arguably the industry leader in leather care, makes a product called Vinylex. It is for vinyl, plastic and rubber. I bought a bottle a while back, but have yet to use it. Friends say it works great, but only time will tell with products like this.

Check out: http://www.vinylexprotectant.com/

Hmmm... I use Lexoil on my leather and am pretty hapy with it, but this Vinylex stuff is made with silicone. Note sure I wanna go there. I guess I'm just gonna have to make an educated guess based on what I've read so far and take a leap of faith hoping for the best.......:ermm:

You're right, the texture looks more like the texture of the half dash cap the PO of my car put on than it does the OEM dash...