IGNORED

How to USE & CHOOSE Spring Compressor

PATZ

Hi guys!

I`ve never used any kind of coil spring compressor to change a strut(I believe i have the STOCK Springs). I always "asked" someone else to just tie clothsline wire 90 Degrees from each other along the length of the coilspring while the weight of the car was on the coilsprings (macpherson struts in my case). So i end up with a (UNSAFE) "compressor" of sorts that i just cut away at when the macpherson strut is already installed in the car.

Finally i`m getting a cheap Macpherson strut compressor (the one with 2 Threaded rods and their mating clamp/hooks and nuts you turn w/ a wrench). So whats the right LENGTH of compressor to buy? I assume its whatever length of adjustment will allow me to grab at the HIGHEST point and LOWEST point of the coilspring while the spring is compressed w/ the car jacked up on the bodyframe sidemembers(wheel off) and a jack under one hub/rotor jacked up to compress the spring sufficiently and still leave space for the compressor clamp/hook to fit between the coils.

OR, will i be able to just take out the whole Macpherson strut assembly WITHOUT using a spring compressor and WITHOUT removing the retaining nut on the cartridge insert(KYB GR-2`s in this case), and only then use the spring compressor for easy access?

I dont know, i just took a casual peak under the fender wells and noticed very little space to the front and rear of the coilspring, but maybe thats because the strut assembly hasnt been disconnected yet from the rotor/hub assembly? I do have the FSM and HAYNES and all that VALUABLE INFO from this site on changing the strut inserts, but NONE on how to use or what length of spring compressor to use. THANK YOU! patrick

Edited by PATZ
added a sentence

Hi Patrick - I bought a set four years ago and the threaded prtion of the rod is about 15inches. They are simply two threaded rods as you described and work fine - I have used them several times - cost $30 CDN. They are a standard size - actually the only size available here.

The spring does not require compression until you are going to disassemble the unit to remove the spring. Take off the strut first - then apply the compressors. It is not a quick process but it is logical. I think there may be instructions at the Atlantic Z web site.

Good luck

I just wanted to give you a word of warning. I purchased a set of spring compressors from Harbor Freight and had some issues. When I was tightening the screws, they kept wanting to twist and slip. Naturally I was impatient and decided to keep going. All of a sudden the compressor slipped off the coil and it went flying through the air and into the ceiling of my garage. Be careful! They are under a tremendous amount of tension and can easily hurt someone (like myself) who isn't paying attention. Good luck!

I'm about to do this job myself, so I've been looking at different types available. The ones at Harbor Freight are very cheap, but the ones they offer at AutoZone in their loaner program have safety pins on both ends. I'm assuming this is to prevent the dangerous fly-off cbudvet mentioned.

There's no need to completely remove the strut assy from the car. You can just unbolt them from the body by removing the three strut assy mounting bolts, swing them out, attach the spring compressor, compress the spring, then remove the single strut insert mounting bolt to disassemble the strut assy. Depending on how long the strut insert has been in there, the "fun" part might be getting the strut insert out of the strut tubes. Mine required some "persuasion".

I have the Harbor Freight spring compressors and have used them several times. They work just fine , however I recommend that you use vice grips on the springs to keep any movement of the ''hooks'' slipping down the helical of the spring. If you have Wick Humbles How to Restore your 240Z , they show this exact thing being done. I don't care what brand of compressor being used . Be vary careful because there is a tremendous amount of pressure being applied, so stay out of the direction of any travel ! I happen to have 4 pair of vice grips and I always use all four just to be safe.

Has anyone here ever bothered to figure out how much tension 240Z springs are under? I used to just point the strut away from me and hit the nut on top with an impact. I've never used a spring compressor on a Z. On other cars the springs can be under an extremely large load, but Z's have such weak springs to start, and then stock springs are usually sagged out anyway...

Of course I'm not recommending that YOU try it that way.

Edited by jmortensen

I use the Harbor Frieght Compressors. In addition to using the included safety hooks, I wrapped two nylon straps around th whole thing. The threaded rods do not cut into the strap, as they turn fairly slow and not very far. I only did this as a preventative measure, hearing of springs gone wild.

Hi guys!

THANKS A LOT for ALL your concerned replies! I finally bought a pair of the cheap taiwan made compressors. If i had the bucks to cough up i woulda bought a better made compressor (for SAFETY reaons!). It has a max opening of 10 in. but has no locks (i will figure out some kind of lock to use). Whats funny is (its really NOT funny) that the few times i used the clothsline "compressor" i got it done with no drama, and the one time (my first and only time) i used a simple wallmounted (non-hydraulic) compressor had the spring fly off, narrowly missing my face and missing someone elses newly painted car by inches (begginers luck?). Of course i`m NOT endorsing the clothsline method...my luck could run out... Again, THANK YOU ALL for all the VALUABLE info,tips and precautions! patrick