IGNORED

Engine bugs down when heating up

guy_geo

Ok.

Went to start the car after hibernation..Heated warehouse, 18C/68F for the whole duration.

(I know my head gasket is due around the no 6 cylinder..)

Full choke, car started ok, but then, after 1 minute, even if I release the choke lever slightly as I do normally, the engine starts to putter, blurb, and exhaust did loud noise..

Press the gas, niet... dies..

Start the car again, same problem...

I have checked:

Gas: OK, I had a full gas tank in fall last year before storage

Gas filter: OK

I'm on my way to put a Pertronix, but before that, I suspect my tabarnak de pointes are causing the problem, even if they were changed at the end of last year's summer...

Any help?

If the car was running fine when you parked it last fall, don't mess with the Dist. Not yet, try and solve the present problem first . If you keep the choke on , will the engine continue to run ? Is it blowing any black smoke when it's running like it is? Do try starting it with the gas cap loose .

If the car was running fine when you parked it last fall, don't mess with the Dist. Not yet, try and solve the present problem first . If you keep the choke on , will the engine continue to run ? Is it blowing any black smoke when it's running like it is? Do try starting it with the gas cap loose .

Gary

OK, I will check the gas cap tomorrow then.

If that can help, last fall, on my last ride to the warehouse, I had exactly the same problem on start up. To solve it, I was able to rev the engine quite high (I know, not really good on a cold engine), and then the car was running mostly ok., but at highway speed, the engine was quitting on 2-3 times..

beandip, no there was no black smoke coming out of the tail pipe....

Thanks a lot for the tip... :)

Took the car out this afternoon, and when to my mechanic's place. Car was not running good at all, but I made it (45 miles drive...)

Points were not so good, but I had an SU that was leaking down oil at tne near end of the choke lever... Looks like the float for the gas was not ok because of that..

Anyway, car will be taken care of during my holiday in Costa Rica...

Did you try what Arne and beandip suggested? Did you try running it with the gas cap loose? If you did and it alleviated the problem while loose, try these simple tests.

This is the best illustration of the evaporative emissions system that I have seen that makes it easy to understand.

Curious to find if this is the problem.