IGNORED

new member hoping for advice TODAY

Ken B.

Hi all, I am flying down to Alabama tomorrow morning to look at a 240 for purchase. I'm told it has a 280 engine yet is carburated. I didn't think the L28 came carburated (I could be wrong) so I'm assuming they simply didn't want to deal with the wiring, etc to retro the FI for the 240. The engine change was done before this owner purchased the car so the paperwork is MIA.

I asked the seller to take some photos of the underside and he did so, even took it to the bodyshop for me and I spoke to the owner of the shop who uncover 4 problem areas in the floor. Said he could do a good repair in it for 2,000 using english wheel as opposed to cutting out all and installing all new floor. The paint looks good in photos but the body shop owner said once get up on it that it isn't a great paint job and will need attention soon.

The BIG question is I was hoping for the opinion of some here on the condition of the car based on the photos I have - I just want honest advice/opinion on if the car is considered in good shape rust wise (just based on the photos). I'm so trying to find a place to post the pics. Was hoping for some input before I fly out tomorrow morning.

Will be back with a link as soon as I find a posting site you can view. Thanks in advance for any input.

The BIG question is I was hoping for the opinion of some here on the condition of the car based on the photos I have - I just want honest advice/opinion on if the car is considered in good shape rust wise (just based on the photos). I'm so trying to find a place to post the pics.

Welcome. You can simply post the pictures as attachments in this very thread. Just post a new message and in advanced mode scroll down and click the "manage attachments" button. You'll then be presented with a way to upload image files.

Very rarely on a 240 is there only a little floor rust. If it is rusted on the floor the odds are good that the floor supports are rusted as well. Rear quarters, front fenders, rockers, and the battery box are very common rust areas as well. Poke that thing a lot before buying. Like all cars of this era, rust is a huge part! Repairs in these areas can be expensive if farmed out and time consuming if done yourself.

Photos will help the board in giving opinions, but be very attentive to rust, these cars rust inside out, and what looks good, turns out to be rotting away unseen.

Welcome. You can simply post the pictures as attachments in this very thread. Just post a new message and in advanced mode scroll down and click the "manage attachments" button. You'll then be presented with a way to upload image files.

thanks Mike

post-19042-14150806677001_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806677203_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806677298_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806677389_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806677649_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806677903_thumb.jpg

post-19042-1415080667815_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806678396_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806678643_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806678897_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to be realistic and know that just about ANY 1971 Z will have rust and I will have to deal with it. The $2000 to the bodyshop for the floor repairs wont be the end I know. I also know looking at photos isn't 100% - I was just hoping for your trained opionions on what is too far gone based on what you can see. It would be appreciated.

There is a lot of rust showing but it's hard to tell just how bad it is from the pictures. As has been mentioned you have to physically inspect it and poke at potential problem areas. The thing that concerns me the most about this car is the extra bodywork. The skirt along the bottom could be covering a lot of rust that is common in those areas. The fender flares might have been done right or they might have been bonded over more rust with a lot of filler and then covered up with a nice paint job. I'd be sure to take a magnet as well as tools to poke things with and a good flashlight.

Edit: The above was only after looking at your first batch of pictures. The ninth picture in the second batch is scary.

Edited by MikeW
more info

It looks like it's had some frame rail work done. What concerns me is that you haven't received/posted pictures of the pans near the front of the car. With the rust I see underneath the engine bay, I also have to wonder how well it has been maintained. Are you thinking of driving it back, or will it travel on a trailer? Where in Alabama is it? If you're driving, what is your planned route back? It might be handy to be able to contact board members if you need help on the way back.

There is a lot of rust showing but it's hard to tell just how bad it is from the pictures. As has been mentioned you have to physically inspect it and poke at potential problem areas. The thing that concerns me the most about this car is the extra bodywork. The skirt along the bottom could be covering a lot of rust that is common in those areas. The fender flares might have been done right or they might have been bonded over more rust with a lot of filler and then covered up with a nice paint job. I'd be sure to take a magnet as well as tools to poke things with and a good flashlight.

I'll be going with the owner back to the body shop for an inspection BEFORE deciding to buy tommorrow. Thus far from my conversation the bodyshop owner who had it on the lift and pulled the carpet and seats and stated he saw 4 areas that needed patching in the floor but that overall much of the rest looked like surface rust.

I'll try to be as detailed as possible in looking. I'm also not sure what a good price for the bodywork would be, 4 patches that include some custom work using an english wheel for 2K. Does this seem reasonable - I know proces vary.

My plan is if I buy her to leave it at the body shop for the repairs and return in 2-3 weeks to drive her home. We are also going to a garage called Hesco in Birmingham for a mechanical once over to see what might be needed - again BEFORE buying.

My route back isn't planned yet as I have time and not sure if I'm even buying her but if so the most direct from Birmingham to Pittsburgh would be the route.

At the right price, it's the right car for somebody. If you feel comfortable disclosing what you think you will offer for the car, that might influence opinion on the site. Yes, it's nice looking in the pictures. Hopefully the engine has good compression, struts and springs, electrical, tires etc. What will the interior need? Will it pass inspection? What kind of budget you are on would be a factor. None of these cars are perfect, of course. Whether or not you buy this Z, I hope you indeed get a Z somewhere. You'll be hooked. Best of luck!

-adamr

thanks for the advice thus far gang

the interior looks pretty good, seam in the driver needs mending. I'm told and will confirm before buying that the L28 motor was modified and runs very strong. This would be my 5th Z so it's already in my blood thus here I am again. I've had a 77, an 83, a 93 and a 78 - that I just donated to the Z club of Kansas City for a project to do with as they like.

here are some remaining photos - all I have

post-19042-14150806681439_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806681541_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806681631_thumb.jpg

post-19042-1415080668173_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806681831_thumb.jpg

post-19042-1415080668193_thumb.jpg

post-19042-14150806682028_thumb.jpg