IGNORED

Winter storage

guy_geo

OK, I know it's early for most of you, but I would like to know what I need to do for the hibernaTIon of my ZED...

The car will be kept in a big heat wharehouse.

1. I know I have to removed the battery

2. I was told to put a gas treatment in the gas tank

NOW MY QUESTIONS???

A) Some people told me it's good to put the car on some blocks, so the suspension and tires won't be damaged??

B) Is that right??

c) Do I need to have the gas tank almost empty or full before storage???

What else??

Thanks!@

:alien:

Full tank of gas- no room for water condensation = rust in tank.

Fuel stablizer (ie Sta-Bil) be sure to run car after adding to get it through fuel lines & into carbs

I jack up the car & put it on stands, but the stands at their lowest setting, so the suspension isn't hanging, nor under load. Don't know if it makes any difference, but works for me

Some choose to plug the exhaust, the intakes, etc to prevent rodents and such from nesting, but if you're in a heated warehouse i doubt that's a major concern.

That's pretty much it. Some like to remove the plugs & squirt in a bit of oil before Spring start-up- that can't hurt either, but don't worry about it for now- youve got 6 months to wait!!

HTH, Jeremiah

Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to move up to your neck of the woods. I'm curious, how long does this hibernation period last? I was going to take advantage of the hibernation period to work on my car. I figured since it's going to be sitting for a while why not work on it.

It would be a good idea to start the engine and let it run a few minutes every other month if it is long term storage. Especially if it is not in a controlled temp environment. Lots of temperature variations will cause condensation. To keep your rings from sticking and any surface rust in the cylinders, I would start it once in a while just to be sure.

Be sure if you do start it to let it warm up good, to get rid of any condensation in the exhaust system.

Well, one of the resons to start it is to make sure oil is up in the head to make sure the seals don't dry out. After sitting for a long period of time, the oil will eventually all drain back to the pan and leave the top side of the engine dry.

I'd start it at least once if it is going to be sitting for more than 3 months just to be safe.