IGNORED

Removing White Hazy Marks From Glass

lm71z

I don't know if anyone else will know what I am referring to, but one of the side windows on my 240z has a white hazy line in the glass from the window roller and the rear window also has white hazy marks all around the edges from louvers that were probably on the car for quite some time. Does anyone know how to remove these hazy marks from glass? Is there any type of cleaner that will get the job done well?

It depends on what you are calling haze. If it is scratches form abrasive that has been rubbing on the glass by a contaminated fitting. I don't know of anything. However I have a side window on my Z that is heavily etched to the point that from a angle it always looked dirty. I tried everything I could think of. Even Sapphire dust made into a paste. At a car show I recently attended I found a product made by Adams Car Care Products. Swirl & Haze Remover. the guy in the booth at the show was talking to someone that had the same problem on a tee top, so the three of us tried it on his Z. It worked amazingly well. I bought a bottle and in about 20 min my glass is almost completely clear. It may help depending on what your condition is. adamspolishes.com They have a fantastic line of products.

Gary

What you describe is either known as Hard water stains-places where water has evaporated and either left calcium and other deposits behind, or actually an area etched the glass with a slightly acidic content

For hard water spots, sometimes placing and holding a paper towel soaked in white Vinegar on the area will take care of the deposits(essentially the same thing as Boiler scale). I have always used the Eastwood glass polishing kit. It can handle both situations.

Here is a before and after...

post-4106-14150806261484_thumb.jpg

Edited by hls30.com

Will, mine must be etched because I tried vinegar with no effect. All the rest of my glass is fine , just the one passenger window. This door is not the original one to the Z. I found many colors of paint on it when I was sanding for paint.

Gary

A friend of mine who worked at a GMC dealer turned me onto some stuff called "Nothing's Better". It cleans glass, aluminium, chrome and other stainless. It's a powder that you use to polish. I had some defects in my windshield and it took them right out.

Watkins of Sacramento, PO Box 30301, Sacramento, CA 95838 (800)-668-2887.

Are you sure it's on the outside of the glass? I have three windows on my 240 that are going bad inside. They have a white haze or fog with it aswell. What is happening is safty glass is 2 sheets of glass with a clear rubber between the two parts. Over time with sun and heat that rubber can go bad. When that happens you can get a milky look and little bubbles over time.

If thats the case your only fix is new glass.

If you can feel it on the glass then it can be removed. If thats the case you can get it off with a very very fine steelwool and glass cleaner. Just MAKE SURE the glass is wet!!! I have owned detail shops in the past and no that will not scar the glass. We steel wool every window that we are putting tint on aswell and have NEVER left a scar or scratch behinde.

The only "safety" glass (properly referred to as laminated glass) in a Z is the windshield/windscreen. All other glass is tempered glass which is a single plate that has been heat treated such that the surface is in compression and the innards are in tension. When a crack is initiated in tempered glass, it propagates rapidly in many directions and makes the glass appear to "explode" into thousands of, one would hope, harmless particles instead of long, sharp shards.

I worked with both kinds of glass for 8 years doing R&D at Libbey-Owens-Ford Co. (now Pilkington) in Toledo, OH.

Then I guess my rear 1/4 glass has been replaced. Because I have the fog and bubbles in the windshiled, rear 1/4 glass, and rear hatch. Pass and drivers door windows are fine. But it's all inside the glass.

I am just going off what I have on my 72.