IGNORED

Let's show vintage racing pictures. I'll start.

conedodger

450-WD-653.jpg

"The Datsun Factory team, including drivers Sam Posey and Masahiro Hasemi, was fast in the 1980 ISMA Series. They had not yet, however, hooked up with Randy Lajoie and his Joie of Seating’s technical offerings. Here is their third driver, Paul Newman, with a slab of foam taped to his back. Not a lot of fitting and pre-molding here. From WINNING: The Racing Life of Paul Newman, by Matt Stone and Preston Lerner. (John Rettie Photo)"

Coastal 181 - Weekday Photos

More to go with that last pic.

"Lyn St. James on the passing of her friend, colleague and supporter Paul Newman

Phoeniz, AZ (Oct. 1, 2008) | I admired Paul Newman first from afar while

watching him race at the SCCA runoffs at Road Atlanta in the 70s, and then

later when competing against him in the Trans Am Series in the 80s. It always amazed me that he was just "one of us" while at the track. We had a running joke between us that started when we were both competing in the Trans Am Series. In the Lime Rock Trans Am race Paul and I had a rear end collision in Turn 1. He qualified a number of positions behind me, but came barreling through the first turn of the first lap and attempted to pass everyone, which of course ended in disaster. We had other rear-enders … Cleveland comes to mind.

This is a very special picture that was taken at the Dallas Grand Prix where

Trans Am was the feature race. It was a temporary circuit and the distance between the paddock and the pits was huge. I was walking along to get to the pits to get to my car for a practice or qualifying session, Paul came along on his scooter and asked me if I wanted a lift. A photographer sent me the photo and years later I asked Paul if he would sign it (it's common knowledge that he didn't

sign autographs) and the inscription "rear ended again" was just another reference/joke between us.

This past year, through Newman's Own, he approved a grant to my Women in the Winner's Circle Foundation to launch Project Podium, a scholarship fund for women in racing. It was another example of how much he was willing to help others. When the Women in the Winner's Circle Foundation wanted to honor him this year with our Leadership Award at our annual luncheon, he gracefully declined the award saying, " I am truly honored that you wish to present me with your Leadership Award, so it's with considerable regret that I decline. On my 70th birthday, I resolved not to accept any more awards or honors. Not, you understand, out of arrogance, but a happy and mellow belief that I had been honored in gracious sufficiency and more would constitute excess. In the 10 plus years since then, I have made no exceptions. I thank you for thinking of me and wish you a successful and enjoyable luncheon."

Paul Newman was a doer and we will miss him greatly! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family who I know were a significant part of this life."

Generic Page

• 2 weeks later...